This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

music in kubuntu -- I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

I tried Kubuntu once before and was unable to get sound, video, etc. I spoke with my brother who has used Kubuntu for awhile and he indicates that he has been able to install "mplayer" and get it working.

Well, I had a few days off work so decided to try again.

I found my old notes so was able to get connected to the internet ... that far I got.

But I want to be able to basically be able to do everything I could do with Windows (and more). There are things that attracted me to Kubuntu such as free recording programs which since I cannot even get sound to work are obviously in my future.

Repeat to self: I will not let this beat me! I will not let this beat me!

I would appreciate help in any or all of the following directions:
    (1) determining what sound card I am using with re-installing windows (yep! this is kubuntu only).
    (2) learn the things I am doing wrong with trying to install easyubuntu in Kubuntu. It sounds like I could get things I need for must and video but I cannot get easyubuntu to go.
    Steps taken and where I stop with easyubuntu
    (i) Open a terminal in KDE [alt] [f2], and type konsole) and type the following commands (one command per line)
    (ii) enter the command >> sudo apt-get install subversion
    ## no problem with this, it appears to function OK
    (iii) enter the command >> svn checkout svn://freecontrib.org/easyubuntu
    ## I get the following
    svn: Berkeley DB error while opening 'nodes' table for filesystem /home/svn/repos/easyubuntu/db:
    Cannot allocate memory
    svn: bdb: Unable to allocate memory for transaction detail
    (iv) end of game
    BIG NOTE: When I downloaded the easyubuntu I did not know where to put it so placed it on my desktop

Any help you can give would be great.

Also, If you have any suggestions on the BEST RECORDING STUDIO type programs for Kubuntu I would like to know. I understand that there will be ubuntu studio. Should I just wait for that? Q Will it take care of my music setup by itself?

Thank you,
    canadaman

Re: music in kubuntu -- I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say without reinstalling windows (must have been my subconscious speaking)!

Comment

Re: music in kubuntu -- I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Hi

I'm not sure if Easybuntu works well with Kubuntu - at any rate, I find that using it always causes issues down the road.

Your post was a bit confusing to me. Have you got your sound card identified but am having trouble playing media files? I had the same problem (not hearing sounds from my media - MP3 - files) and it was codec related... see below.

In order to play / support most media formats you need to install some extra codecs (Easybuntu automates this but as I said, perhaps it's better to do it manually).

First, you'll need to add an extra repository to your packages list... the easiest I've found (and i'm still a fresh newbie with linux / kubuntu) is the following <<http://www.ubuntu-nl.org/source-o-matic/>> make sure to add the Medibuntu & Commercial repositories - as well as update your GPG Keys...the list should have instructions.

Then I've found that following these instructions <<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats>> works well with Kubuntu - just make sure NOT to add <<gxine, ogle, ogle-gui>> players as they are gnome specific?? Also, I remember reading somewhere that the following packages interferes with Amarok (the media app in Kubuntu) <<gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse>>... so maybe best not to include these.

These instructions worked on getting the sound up and running perfectly on my machine.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
      X