Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual-boot from Kubuntu/Vista doesn't seem to register...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual-boot from Kubuntu/Vista doesn't seem to register...

I'm not too sure how GRUB is configured for Kubuntu, but at boot-up, it doesn't seem as tho Vista Ultimate is picking up at all. I had to reinstall Vista, and now I'm stuck either having to emulate Kubuntu from VMWare, or having to give up and try running Kubuntu on a separate external HDD, if that was possible, which doesn't seem like that would work, either. Now, my question is, are there any plans on updating GRUB for the next version of Kubuntu to work side by side with Vista, or does Vista's dual-boot option consider this ineffective? This is too confusing, and the configuration is probably a pain in the butt to figure out...

Re: Dual-boot from Kubuntu/Vista doesn't seem to register...

A hdd will only support one boot loader (in the mbr). Whatever you install *last* will probably be what gets to install itself there.

GRUB will try to play nice, it will make a note of what was there and offer it as a selection in the boot menu.
    *If it understands it* I have no idea whether GRUB will recognise the vista boot loader or not, but doubtless the authors do. Check GRUB's website.

Vista, on the other hand, will probably *not* offer to load kubuntu if it finds it. It *will* probably offer to delete the 'unrecognised' partition, and overwrite it.

The source code for GRUB, and the ext3 filesystem are available for ms to inspect / learn how to co-exist with. The same does not apply to vista / ntfs. You'd have to ask ms why unpaid volunteers can reverse engineer ms trash, but ms can't read freely available source code to achieve the same end.

The moral would seem therfore to be: install vista first, kubuntu last, and use grub to load vista. Be careful though, it's probably a breach of one of the licence terms

Comment

Working...
    X