This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print Server: D-Link DP-301P+

I'm posting this under Dapper Drake, but it could just as well be under Edgy Eft or Feisty Fawn. I just happen to be running Dapper Drake.

I have two printers on my LAN: one is network ready and the other, an HP LaserJet 6MP, is not. Right now it is cabled directly to a Win2K box and I'm accessing it with Kubuntu via Samba.

I would like to make it independent of the computer it is cabled to. I would like to purchase a stand-alone print server for it.

One that particularly attracts me is the D-Link DP-301P+. Now just about all of the print servers use Windows software on a CD. This one says, "This product can be set up using any current web browser, i.e., Internet Explorer 6 or Netscape Navigator 7.0'. I presume that would include Firefox 2.0 under Kubuntu, would it not?

I like the DP-301P+ becase it attaches directly to the printer's Centronics port, then via a CAT5 Ethernet RJ-45 cable to my Linksys wireless router.

If anyone can see any problem with using this print server with Kubuntu, please point this out to me. If anyone has another print server that they have successfully used with [U/K]ubuntu, please share your knowledge with me.

Thanks for your input.

Re: Print Server: D-Link DP-301P+

All I can advise is to NOT use the HP Jetdirect print server as as far as I am aware there is no way to make this print server to work under linux.

If you have success with the D-Link DP-301P+ please post your method

Thanks

patanjali
    "We simply must accept the fact that Captain Kirk is no longer alive!"

Comment

Actually, I ended up buying the TRENDnet TE100-P1P instead of the D-Link DP-301P+, but it is essentially the same product: it attaches directly to the Centronics port of the printer, comes with software on a CD for initialization of the print server, and attaches to the router or hub via RJ-45 cable.

It work fine! The software does require a Windows box to run; but once the print server is configured, it is accessible via any browser, my choice being Firefox running under Kubuntu 6.06.

I did encounter a problem installing it: I have a HP LaserJet 6mp printer whose Centronics port is inside the printer case, and the print server wouldn't fit inside the case. I elected to leave the printer cable attached to the printer, and I purchased an adapter [Centronics female to DB-25 female] to match the other end of the printer cable. I then attached the adapter and print server to the end of the cable that was formerly attached to the printer port of the computer. I then ran the Cat-5 cable between the print server and the router, applied power to the router, installed the software, and configured the print server. Since then, no problem! It works for my Windows box, it works for my Kubuntu box.

For clarification here is the layout of the printer cable and print server:

Printer port<-->printer cable<-->adapter<-->print server<-->RJ-45 cable<-->router

I'm very pleased with the setup.

Comment

I realize this is a late post, some 9 months after the first three... and I don't know if my experience applies precisely to this thread, but I had very little trouble installing HP LaserJet 4V and 4+ printers with JetDirect cards (TCP/IP) on my UBUNTU 6.06 system. It took some time, but it really wasn't a prob. I discovered a tiny glitch after they were installed but resolved it ok.

Now I'm trying to duplicate those installs on KUBUNTU 6.06, but it is apparently more difficult (or obscure). So, does anyone know how to do a TCP/IP JetDirect install on KUBUNTU? If it can be done on UBUNTU, then shouldn't it be doable on KUBUNTU?

Comment

Working...
        X