X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unable to Network connect Internet

Hi a-hippie

Yes , I have feeling that this may be the cause , any idea which fields I should statr, I have tried a few like  PnP , changing Y and N , did not work , any other field that I should experiment with ?

I am going to try all possibilities , I also feel I should be able to get at the bottom of this , I am sure it is something to to do with the bios as all the other flavours of Linux can not see the ethernet . This invalid mac address is the real problem.

By the way I managed to get the build -essential pakages from my Kubuntu install Cd, thanks to kubicle .

I ran the ./configure command without any errors , and now do I command "make install" , i tried Install but it did not work.

(:  There is pleasure in being mad and only the mad know about it.)(

Comment

a_hippie !

Just I happened to go thro this thread.

May I request you one thing?

Please do post the linux commands which a newbie/linux enthusiast should know with their simple usage.

Because, in spite of my more than three years of linux usage with various distros, I am at dark in this regard - curse these nice GUI installers and front ends !

One more thing ! It wud be helpful for us, middle aged people , who have often to revisit the commands to keep them alive in our memory.

Comment

varaahan:

I don't want to try to convert out ongoing notes to text to plug into this forum. If you like, send me a private note with your email and I'll mail you my old notes--they are in word format, but open office opens it nicely.

Yeah, i like gui when I want gui, but I like command line for all stuff that I can--faster. I really miss old libranet linux in that regard, they had a great command line system tool that let users tweak their systems in a shell or over an ssh connection.

simbiwa:

Have you tried to turn off your NIC in the bios, boot the system, then reboot it, turn on the NIC and see if it is detected? I can't help but wonder if somehow M$ has messed with it in this regard.

good luck!
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

hey simbiwa,

I have another suggestion to your problems. hopefully it will help you.

Buy/Borrow another LAN card. Install it and set the Bios to use that card instead of the internal one. here I can buy a cheapo card for about 10$.

I had the same thing happen to me on Warthog (Kubuntu 4.10) I installed a new NIC and then it worked.

saves you from having to compile anything.

Anyway Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X