Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no input sound: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Con

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no input sound: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Con

Hi all.

I've tried several programs and so luck so far. I have okay sound output, but the audio is VERY LOW, yet I have zero sound input. Have tried alsamixer, kmix, and aumix. Tested both line-in and mic with no luck.

Has anyone figured out how to get sound input working on this intel sound chip?

Thanks so much.

Wish you well.
    --<br />wishing you well

Re: no input sound: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio

The only advice I can give is to suggest that you look at this HowTo Good luck.

Comment

Re: no input sound: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio

I'm past the help the above link offers. modules are loaded, soundchip is kind of working.

Is there a way to file a bug report without having to jump through a bug register hurdle with kubuntu? I'd really like to get this issue resolved since I am sure others will be running into the same brick wall I'm at now.

In the mean time, I continue to use google, digg and debian mailing lists hoping to stumble onto a helpful link.

issue:
      no sound input
      very low sound output
      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed that someone will come across this post and provide hope for the low output and no input using this soundchip on my laptop. I've added output from lspci, lsmod and kernel version. The system is updated dapper kubuntu.

Now to see how to add files to a forum post.

Thank you

Linux jayelap2 2.6.15-26-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 03:13:28 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
        Attached Files
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

I suspect that part of your problem getting satisfactory help is the ambiguity of your problem. Can you please define, in as much detail as possible, what you mean by "no sound input". Are you saying that your sound sources e.g. the software that plays mp3's ogg's etc. are not generating any sound, or that system sounds are not being produced. Further, when you say "very low sound output" are yousaying that with all volume controls, on input and output set at their highest levels, the sound volume is unsatisfactorily low? I would think that if you're not getting any sound input, the output would be zero and hence a diagnosis of an input or output problem would be very hypothetical.

Comment

Hi askrieger:

The low output sound to my speakers is one part of my problem. I can turn my volume levels to maximum and the output is still very low (quiet) which did not happen when xp was installed.

No sound input is just that, I can not input (from mic or line) any sounds. The problem is important to me since I want to use programs like qsstv, gmFSK, Skype, and TeamSpeak on this laptop. Note, Mic doesn't work either through speakers or igain. I've used alsamixer, aumix, and kmix..... have explored the various mixers extensively. This laptop is the only computer that I have a problem with, all the other systems work wonderfully with kubuntu.

Does this clear up my ambiguity? I can provide additional information if it would be helpful.

To be clearer, if I play music (ogg or mp3) with xmms, xine, or any other player, sound is low. System sounds (kde startup sounds etc) are low. If I play a movie, sound is low.

If I try to use teamspeak, there is no input from mic/line source. If I try skype there is no input sound. If I try to plug in my high frequency radio to decode mfsk signals, there is no sound. That is, there is no noice coming INTO the computer from the mic input (using known good jacks that work on all my other machines).

Thank you.
            --<br />wishing you well

Comment

I'm not sure what to say, my line-in works, on my main desktop and I can get adequate volume from my laptop speaker(s?) and reasonably good sound out of my BOSE attached to my desktop. (My wife thinks it's only "adequate", but she's a trained musician.)

Comment

Sounds like a similar sound card to mine. I understand that the laptop testing team have yet to get the microphone input working on this card.

At the risk of causing offence, in the mixer window do you have both master and PCM turned up as far as they will go?

Ian

Comment

I have PCM at about 85% and Master at about 40%.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I mean as both settings seem to have a bearing on output volume level.

Ian

Comment

in my case, both the Master and PCM are maxed out. So in reality, the volume might be hovering around 10-15%

I've confirmed this using the alsamixer and aumixer programs.

Liquidator: where did you learn that the laptop team are still working on this chip driver? I'd like to beta test anything they might have ready.

Thank you
                      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Hi

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

If you identify your laptop, you ought then to be able to see some of the issues (if any) that folks are experiencing with them. For my laptop, Dell 630m, since my last visit the Microphone jack is now reported to be working (possible kernel update?) so there is now something for me to check when I get home.

Ian

Comment

BTW on the sound volume, have you tried changing settings under system settings/sound and multimedia/hardware from say Alsa to Open Sound System?

Ian

Comment

Working...
                          X