This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

display resolution;dell 2405. Kubuntu 6.06.1

Starting at K>System setting>Display>hardware>configure, the following message is displayed at the lower left:
    "This configuration cannot safely be tested"
    This is before I have touched a key!(and the test button is greyed out)
    I have a P4, 1.5gig with a FX5200 NVIDIA card.(using analog connector)
    Does my monitor blow up if I try one one of the generic 1920x1200 selections?
    Thanks

Re: display resolution;dell 2405. Kubuntu 6.06.1

How many physical pixels does the monitor have (if it is a flat panel) ? OR What is the maximum horizontal sync rate that it can accomodate (it it's a CRT) ? Then figure out how many dots you're trying to send it. If that's greater than the max horizontal sync rate then the answer is: It might blow up (if it's a CRT), but more likely (whatever it is), it will just get very hot and fail.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      As I stated the warning appears before I have selected ANY resolution.
      It would seem that there is a "bug" or that I am not doing something correctly(this is more than likely!)

Comment

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post and I can't reproduce your problem. It may be that that message appears when the initial setting is inconsistent with the characteristics of the monitor, as determined by the OS at installation, but I'm only guessing.

Comment

replying to myself
          I found this post:

April 1st, 2006
          MetalMusicAddict 
          Fresh Brewed Ubuntu
          Bean Count Hidden
          Ubuntu 6.06 User

Re: Cannot get Dell 2005FPW to work at 1680x1050 resolution
          Did you guys install the monitor after the OS? If so try doingsudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. It will write a new xorg after you go through the prompts so back-up your current one. I have a 2405 and thats what I did when I got my monitor. Works awesome @1920x1200.

I tried to reconfigure but after restarting I am still at 1024 x 768 (not 1920x1200)
          I assume that I did not answer one of the reconfigure questions properly; but which?
          Any advice would be appreciated (I have to say that since I spend most of my time reading text the 1024 resolution is not a problem; but photos are stretched!)
          When I go to "display" in "system" the slider is at the far right of the bar and almost everything is greyed out.

Thanks

Comment

I assume that I did not answer one of the reconfigure questions properly; but which?
            I'd say, that it was probably the one about the monitor resolution. But seriously, the other alternative is to generate your own monitor section for your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file manually. To do this, you will need the permissable ranges of Vertical Refresh and Horizontal Sync rates which you should be able to find in the owner's manual or on line.

Comment

Working...
            X