This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory changed, kubuntu doesn't boot

on my athlon XP1800 with 256 Mb ram I was able to boot Kubuntu 6.0.6 from a cd (live cd).
    I could do this with an Ubuntu live cd too..
    Yesterday I changed my ram-module for a 1 Gb one (same slot as the 256 was, the mobo should support upto 3Gb in 3 slots)
    My mobo has the via apollo kt400 chipset, and is the Gigabyte GA-7VAX

great surprise: the boot doesn't come to an end: it sticks in a first blinking, than steady cursor "-" on a black screen....
    (both Kubuntu and Ubuntu the same result!)
    Can't imagine the cd-image 'knows' the setup of my hardware, so I'm puzzled about this...

anyone??

tx
    rob

Re: memory changed, kubuntu doesn't boot

Put your 256 MB chip back in slot 1, with your 1GB chip in slot 2, then start memtest86+ from the boot menu. Then go get a cup of coffee, or two, or more.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      Put your 256 MB chip back in slot 1, with your 1GB chip in slot 2, then start memtest86+ from the boot menu. Then go get a cup of coffee, or two, or more.
      I left Memtest86 running all night.. This morning 10 passes done with NO errors.
      (I had only the new module in slot1).

**How** can a live-cd with Kubuntu (and the cd with Ubuntu too) find there is more/other memory in the machine as on previous startups??
      There can't be written any information to the cd on bootup..

Separate harddisks running Win98se and Suse9.3 **do** boot and the os'es work without problems (as I can see) (Suse 9.3 is faster as with the old memory stick, in Win98 I was said it wouldn't accelerate anything ;-(

Comment

I had a similar model MB (GA-7VAXP-U) that's now in a friend's PC. What type of mem are you using? (I don't think the Via KT400/this Gigabyte board is supposed to support anything faster than DDR-333). I think that I remember that it's important if the mem is single- or double-sided (especially above 512MB), or the physical chip config may be hard to support; I think that's why I used 512MB sticks instead of 1GB sticks. That is an older board--it may not "like" newer mem sticks, or it may be picky about (new and different--i.e., not from that era) mfrs.... Remember, supporting such larger sticks (especially such as those at DDR-400 and faster) back then was a big deal. You do have a valid point that some other OSes work and memtest works. Maybe they "know" how to manage this memory config better with this older chipset (these OSes are older than Dapper--generic drivers used on the CD may work better, also--they are intended to be dumbed-down and more reliable-they are different)....(?)

Have you checked Gigabyte's site and the manual/updated online manual, or other forums (Gigabyte's?)? The most current bios update might be helpful, if, somehow, it's not installed (of course, really current bios updates for this true legacy board are virtually unlikely). If the new mem is something really special, it may be time to install a more-appropriate board with a better chipset (a lot of us didn't like that chipset very well). Unfortunately, good, new, and relatively up-to-date Socket A boards are hard to find nowadays.... There are also Socket 754 and 939 boards: for these, 32-bit (I think these all fit Socket 754) Sempron chips currently are supported best in Ubuntu/Kubuntu. (I know--money, money, money!)

Comment

Here are the supported brands and sizes according to Gigabyte for our boards: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...x?NewTechID=29

DDR-400 is supported.

1GB sticks are not included in this list (which is not very recent)--of course, the author of the list admits it's not all inclusive. Admittedly, such lists are common among mfrs and usually may be ignored at no peril.

Pg. 11 of the web-based manual indicates that only 1GB sticks from certain selected mfrs. are supported; this indicates that this is a sensitive subject for the board....

Are the bios settings for the memory set for default (by SPD) or if manually set, are they correct?

You could try the proprietary Linux Via chipset driver from viaarena.com (if it exists for the KT400)--I've thought about trying this for my K8T800 boards and nForce2 board (I always want the best drivers)....

Comment

Working...
          X