X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Firewire Drive

Hi,
    I have external harddrive connected thru firewire, I have no problem accessing it and copying files from it to my hd.

On the other hand, I cannot copy files form my hd to the extrenal one.
    I get error msg saying it's read only.

The external hd has Ntfs filesystem.

Help appriciated

Re: External Firewire Drive

NTFS write support is still marked as 'Experimental' in the current 2.6 kernel tree, and is limited to certain functions (ie no new files, no larger files if modifying them).
    There is only 3rd party 'paid for' NTFS full write support available for linux ATM. My advice, copy the files, reformat as fat32, copy back and live happily ever after.

Comment

Originally posted by Teppic
      NTFS write support is still marked as 'Experimental' in the current 2.6 kernel tree, and is limited to certain functions (ie no new files, no larger files if modifying them).
      There is only 3rd party 'paid for' NTFS full write support available for linux ATM. My advice, copy the files, reformat as fat32, copy back and live happily ever after.
      There is a new open source ntfs-3g driver that promises full read/write support for ntfs.
      It's still in beta stage, so you probably shouldn't use it on filesystems with valuable data (that you have no back-ups of). I haven't used it myself, but all the reports I've seen state it's working as it should.

There is an installation howto available here:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

You can find lots of more information by googling 'ntfs-3g'

Comment

Fat32 it is then.

Comment

Working...
        X