This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacklisting Sound Devices

More often than not, in Kmix, my webcam is set up as the default sound device instead of my onboard sound (VIA 8235).  What is the proper procedure in Kubuntu (if there is one) to stop Kmix from recognizing the webcam as the default sound device?  Thanks for your help. 

Edit: disconnecting the webcam from the usb port works wonders, but I'd rather keep it connected, if at all possible.
    Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, and another TBD

Re: Blacklisting Sound Devices

I suspect that you're going to have to write a udev rule to make sure that your audio device and your webcam are recognized properly. Please check out the advice on the http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html page. It's really fairly straight-forward and much less scary than it sounds.

Comment

No need to mess with udev. Just tell the system to assign the sound devices in the order you want: In /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, edit the options lines at the end to "option <your sound card driver> index=0" etc.
      (With 0 for the default device, 1 the second, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by alpreston
        No need to mess with udev. Just tell the system to assign the sound devices in the order you want: In /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, edit the options lines at the end to "option <your sound card driver> index=0" etc.
        (With 0 for the default device, 1 the second, etc)

That seems to have been the answer, thank you! I have a 16-year old who has a Logitech USB headset AND a Logitech USB webcam and for some reason almost always those devices would be given preference over my soundcard. Thanks again!
        Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, and another TBD

Comment

This thread help me with my VIA8235 onboard sound card but still the sound level is much lower than it was with Breezy. I have to mention that with 5.10 I used amaroK gstreamer and now I use the xine engine. Is there anything known about level differences with these two sound engines. BTW all the mixer controls are at 100%.

I would be glad to hear from someone.

Cheers Uli

Comment

Working...
          X