X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Intel 536EP modem problem

Hi everyone

I have recently installed Kubuntu 6.06 LTS onto my home workstation, and this is my very first Linux distro in fact... I am trying to get rid of "mister $ man's" OS, so I picked Kubuntu to learn and use in my everyday home work, for the beginning. At first sight, after few days of surfing Kubuntu desktop system, I like it very much.

Here is my problem now.
    I want to connect to internet from my home. I have to use a dial-up modem (connection) for now. There is Intel 536EP data fax voice PCI modem in my PC.
    I tried to start KPPP to configure connection, but the window message box popped up with information that there is no file resolv.conf in \etc folder. Ok, I found arround here something about it and how to make that file. I did it using this code:
    kdesu kwrite \etc\resovl.conf
    and left it blank, unpopulated. I even don't now if I have to fill something in and what, or what is the purpose of the resolv.conf?
    Anyway, after this I started KPPP again, and everything went ok, regarding resolv.conf file.
    But now, in the window under Modem Tab, there is nothing in the list - no modem. When I tried to query modem, the system indicated that could not find(open) the modem.
    In Kinfocenter I looked for PCI devices and found that there were Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem in the list.

Now, what should I do to make and configure a dial-up connection, to make Kubuntu to "see" my modem? What is wrong in here?
    I mean, sorry if I don't ask a real question, but I am a very new linux user, and any help will be welcome.
    Please, don't let me go back to Windows!

Thx everyone in advance and many greetings from Serbia.

Re: Intel 536EP modem problem

Hi,
    Here you go;

Modems supported by the Intel536EP driver for Ubuntu Dapper
    This page describes how to install the driver for the Intel 536EP internal modem on Ubuntu Dapper for i386 systems. Some of these are sold as Cnet modems and have Ambient chips on board. The process below is quick easy and works quite well. For other older ubuntu versions you will additionally require gcc 3.4 to also be installed.
    Install required Ubuntu packages
    In a terminal type $uname-r, which should give you something like VERSION-XX-ARCH (where ARCH is your kernel flavor, e.g. 386, 686, 686-smp, k7 or k7-smp if you use Intel, powerpc for PPC ...).
    Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06
    You will need to install the build-essential and linux-headers-ARCH packages. They are normally on the install CD and can most easily be installed with Synaptic. If you need to download these due to later versions connect to another PC via the network card and download and install with Synaptic.
    Download the drivers for the modem here:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...inux*&lang=eng
    Save the file, which is named Intel-536EP-4.71.tgz; on your Desktop.
    Compiling the driver
    Right click on the file and select “Extract to here” This will create directory Intel-536 with the source on your Desktop. Open a terminal window and type:
    cd Desktop/Intel-536
    make clean
    This should produce output looking like this:
    Try `uname --help' for more information.
    cd coredrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/<username>/Intel-536/coredrv'
    rm -f *.ko *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/Intel-536/coredrv'
    rm -f *.o *.ko
    make 536
    This will result in many lines of output being printed to the terminal window; you can ignore most of them. The final lines should look like this:
    CC /home/<username>/Intel-536/coredrv/Intel536.mod.o
    LD [M] /home/<username>/Intel-536/coredrv/Intel536.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-9-386'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/Intel-536/coredrv'
    There should be an Intel536.ko file in the directory now; test this by typing
    ls -l Intel536.ko
    The output should look like:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 <username><username> 1070980 2006-05-06 21:02 Intel536.ko
    Your dates and times will be different. If you are using Dapper, the file size (1070980) should be the same.
    Installing the driver
    There are two steps to installing the driver. The first is to copy the Intel536.ko file created above to an appropriate directory, and the second is to cause the driver to be loaded at boot time.
    Regards<br />Matchless<br /><br />Proudly kubuntu!

Comment

Re: Intel 536EP modem problem

Thx Matchless very much! This is excellent, I think I can solve the problem regarding Intel 536EP modem driver.

However, another thing is bugging me now, I think it is normal for every new linux user.
      At http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/devel/ I found build-essential and linux-headers-ARCH packages (mine is 2.6.15.23-i386) and with lots of opimism I followed instructions in your post.
      But soon, I realised that there is something call "dependences" of packages in Linux, and I found out that if I want to install build-essential and linux-headers-ARCH packages I have to download and install a bunch of other packages, and every one from that bunch acquire another bunch of packages etc...I can't see the end, man.
      I mean, is there any other way to download an install everything I need regarding build-essential and linux-headers-ARCH packages, something like "all in one" package or similar? I can't use Adept or Synaptic - the PC that need connection is that one with the modem I want to make work, and I can't connect it to internet through another one because I don't have another one in my homeplace.
      I can connect to link from another pc, from my workplace...so I can download everything I need, but the problem is that I do not know what I need in this loooong list of packages dependences.

Is there anyway to find out what packages exactly I need for build-essential and linux-headers-ARCH packages? I mea, what people usually do in this situation?

Any helpfull uggestions for a newbee?

Best regards to all

Comment

Re: [solved] Intel 536EP modem problem

I have just solved the problem.

I found required packages (build-essential and linux-headers...and many more) on Kubuntu 6.06 LTS alternate CD that (K)Ubuntu team had recently create.
        Excellent work, that is what I needed.
        I have successfully installed modem, and I am able to make a dial-up connection at last.
        Now I think I could use repositories as everyone else.

Regards

Comment

Working...
        X