This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intel 950 graphics chip hp pavilion dv5000 laptop

Hope this helps me (and others doing searches).

Bought this laptop new at costco (200 off reg price this month).

Kubuntu loads and uses only vesa. Doesn't seem to provide support for widescreen (which this has).

Would like to find HOWTO to get real accel from this graphics chip and use the computers LCD at rated mode.

Thanks for any replies. I'll keep google search going, and if I can't get this up and running, will return laptop for refund and look elsewhere for new laptop.

best regards to all.
    --<br />wishing you well

Re: intel 950 graphics chip hp pavilion dv5000 laptop

This machine has the intel duocore cpu thing. I used the KDE System Settings program and noticed that there are two listings for display devices. I set them both to use the intel 945 driver and 1280x800 LCD settings. Killed x with a control+alt+backspace and then I had full resolution and direct rendering.

Glxinfo reports are good, but glxgears will not display the FPS like it used to do in the old days--don't know why.

Installed planet-racer (tux racer game) and used it to test. The game is playable and I was getting about 45FPS. Sure, no gamer would touch this using linux, but for me, I can play silly games and watch dvd movies.

This is a good step.

Still hoping to get the WIFI going!

Best regards to all, and I hope this might help future users too.
    --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
    X