This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Scanner possible on Kubuntu Linux?

Hi all, I have been experimenting with linux for almost a year by august. I have been asked by my father to install his scanner that won't work with windows and try it on linux. 1st question, is it even possible to add a scanner? 2nd question, how would i setup the scanner, its a usb scanner, i need drivers for linux, where could i get them? If some one could please give me instructions on how to do this if its possible. Thank you.

Sean

Re: Is a Scanner possible on Kubuntu Linux?

Please tell us the exact make and model of the scanner. If it is supported, you can install it, the drivers usually are part of the sane project, and it will work. But if it is not supported, there
    Originally posted by foxhound_oki
    Hi all, I have been experimenting with linux for almost a year by august. I have been asked by my father to install his scanner that won't work with windows and try it on linux. 1st question, is it even possible to add a scanner? 2nd question, how would i setup the scanner, its a usb scanner, i need drivers for linux, where could i get them? If some one could please give me instructions on how to do this if its possible. Thank you.

Sean
    will be no drivers, unless it is a clone of another supported model. If it is supported, somoeone here may be able to help you with any difficulties that arise. You could try looking here: http://www.sane-project.org/ to see if it is supported.

If it is not already installed, you should use Adept to install kooka and maybe sane.

As always, when wanting hardware assistance, please tell us the exact make and model of the hardware concerned, otherwise you will not get any helpful answers...... Same on any Linux forum, of course.

Comment

okay, i have found the scanner in the supported list of stable version. here are the details.

OpticPro
      UT12 USB
      0x07b3/0x0017
      Complete Note: Devices with product ID 0x0001 are not supported!
      plustek
      (0.51) sane-plustek

now i need detailed instructions on setting up the drivers and that one application that can be used to scan with. could someone give me instructions please. thank you.

Comment

well you are probably in luck as plustek based scanners need no extra drivers or firmware files to run in linux. My canon LiDE 25 uses the same chip and worked for me literally out of the box.

Just plug in the scanner, go to your Kmenu/graphics/kooka and you will see right off if it is going to work as there will be a scanner selection dialog when the program opens up.

Another program to consider installing is xsane, though either one works fine.

You won't be able to use the scanner's buttons to scan with, however. There are projects out there to help with this, but imo are too complicated to set up at this time

Comment

Claydoh...you've given me hope.

I'm trying to get a Primefilm 1800u slide scanner working - it's older than an OpticPro but is a Scanace scanner and therefore a Plustek.

XSane won't see it, Kooka won't. It's not listed on SANE.

I've tried using the driver disk with WINE and that didn't work.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance,
          Mark (UK).
          Beanpod, anyone?! www.Beanpods.co.uk

Comment

The first question is, is it found on the USB bus? With the scanner plugged in and powered on

Code:
            lsusb
            If it does not appear there, that's a problem -- you may be stuck engineering your own kernel module for it. If it is on the USB bus, then you may simply lack the library files. Make sure you have libsane and libsane-extras installed.

Comment

You're a star,dibl! Thanks for replying.

The scanner IS there;

[img width=400 height=261]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/WoodsM_UK/Kubuntu/lsusb.jpg[/img]

I looked for libsane etc on the adept manager (?) form the K menu but nothing was found...how do I install the libraries/check for them, please?

**Update; I ran "apt-get source libsane** and libsane-extras but still no joy.

Cheers, Mark (UK).

Comment

Oh, geez, I just noticed we're in the 6.06 forum. Is that the version of Kubuntu you have, or was it just your reply to the old post that put us here?

In any event, skip the Adept stuff, open the Konsole, and enter this:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libsane libsane-extras
                If you get an error, post it, and we'll see what's up.

Comment

Yeah, sorry - to clarify, I was answering the other post. I'm running Kubuntu 8.04

I ran your command and still get no scanner detected, I'm afraid.

The output was;

[img width=400 height=303]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/WoodsM_UK/Kubuntu/output1.jpg[/img]

Comment

I wasn't expecting that command to detect the scanner. But, did you notice that you didn't have libsane-extras? It was just now installed.

So, fire up Xsane again, and see if it shows any sign of finding your scanner.

Comment

I did notice, yes!

Xsane doesn't see the scanner yet.

I tried a reboot and it still didn't....

Over to you?!

Comment

Bummer.

Well, the next step is probably to copy the line out of the lspci output where it shows the bus ID (05e3:0120 .....) and the name, and start searching the net with Google. I'm not sure if the gspca driver from maxhaard might work:

http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

They're actually for cameras, but I've seen them recognize a scanner before.

Comment

OK, I'll run along and do that and report back...

Thanks for the help...much appreciated....

Comment

http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/pie-1800u.html

Comment

Uhhhhhhhhhh, bummer.

@claydoh, no wonder you're never invited to the family reunion!

Comment

Working...
                              X