This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set up usb printer

I am having issues setting up my usb printer (and Epson Stylus Photo R220).

So far what I have tried is:
    - in the print manager, add Printer/class
    - in the "Backend Selection" screen, Local printer is greyed out, so I try "other printer type"
    - on the "URI Selection" screen, it fails to autodetect any direct printers other than hp no_device_found, but I had gotten the printer working on a suse machine by using the uri "usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R220" so I try that.
    - the rest of the configuration seems normal, but then when I try to print a test page, the only thing that happens is I get this message in /var/log/messages
    Jul 8 13:13:36 montcervin kernel: [141993.594779] ioctl32(usb:9323): Unknown cmd fd(4) cmd(44005001){04} arg(ff9ba186) on /dev/usblp0

The printer is connected since it shows up in /proc/bus/usb/devices

I am running Dapper on a Mac G5

Re: set up usb printer

Try rebooting computer with printer plugged in and switched on.

If this doesn't work try the drivers from turboprint:

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

Comment

I have already tried rebooting the computer with the printer plugged in and turned off, and that did not work.

I just tried out the drivers from turboprint. They don't have the r220 driver (which the default print manager did) so I used the r300 driver which various sources online have suggested as a replacement. Unfortunately, it still did not work. This time the error message was "lp: Destination "try3" is not accepting jobs." Oh, and I used /dev/usblp0 as the output device since that was the only one which existed.

Thanks for the help, though.

Comment

According to turboprint web site they do suport your printer.

Have you tried changing usb port?

Comment

author=chamois link=topic=6752.msg26844#msg26844 date=1152396246]
          I have already tried rebooting the computer with the printer plugged in and turned off, and that did not work.
          I had the same problem with an Epson CX4800, and I restarted with the printer plugged in and turned on, and it was then detected properly on USB. Don't know if that helps, but you stated it was turned off when you rebooted.

Comment

Originally posted by doublesix
            you stated it was turned off when you rebooted.
            oops, misstype. I ment it was turned on.

Comment

Check out this link:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089184.0

In the second post of tomstrong you will find the modifications he made to the file "permissions.rules" .

In Hardy, this file is located under /etc/udev/rules.d

and the filename is "40-permissions.rules .

I made the modifications suggested and, after four weeks of not printing, the printer suddenly works like a charm!

I hope, you will have luck too!

Comment

Working...
              X