This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help installing WPC54GS v2

I'm fairly new to Kubuntu and I'm hoping some of the Kubuntu gurus will respond.

Kubuntu Version: 6.0.6 (LTS)

Issue: I'm trying to install my Lynksys wireless card (WPC54GS v2). The output below is from the shell-Konsole.
    0000:00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03)
    0000:00:02.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03)

From researching other Linux blogs, it looks likes Linux in general doesn't support the Texas Instruments chip set. I was wondering if anyone out there was able to get this to work.

I've followed these instructions http://www.kosmaczewski.net/blogs/tech/archives/2006/05/kubuntu_510_wireless.php without any luck.

Thank You,

Nate

Re: I need help installing WPC54GS v2

Your card is covered on the Ubuntu Help Pages Basically, use ndiswrapper.

Comment

I actually looked here first and didn't find anything regarding the WPC54GS v2 support.

The card that is mentoind in the list is WPC54G. I'm assuming there is a difference between WPC54G and WPC54GS.

Please let me know if the WPC54G driver will work under the WPC54GS card.

Comment

The GS is shown directly after three 54G entries and before a fourth. it's called "WPC54GS with Speedboos"t. The entry claims that the card uses the Broadcom BCM4306 rev3 chipset and that it works with ndiswrapper following the "simple and effective" instructions you referenced in your original post. The TI PCI1450 is just a driver for the PCMCIA card bus. The WPC54G (no S) ver.2 uses the TI ACX111.

Comment

I've tried everything.

This is the output from the shell when running this command:
          ndiswrapper -l

Installed ndis drivers:
          Installed ndis drivers:
          lsbcmnds invalid driver!

I'm trying to follow this commands, but I cannot get passed step 3. Please HELP!

This is what I did:

1. I installed ndiswrapper-utils using the System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager
          2. I inserted the CD that came with the card in the laptop
          3. In a terminal window, typed "sudo ndiswrapper -i /cdrom/lsbcmnds.inf" (you must be root)
          4. If everything goes OK, if you type "ndiswrapper -l" you should see the newly installed driver
          5. Then I typed "sudo ndiswrapper -m" to make this driver load every time the machine boots up (that's what I understood that the thing did... maybe I'm wrong!)
          6. Then I typed "sudo depmod -a"; if no errors appear, then everything is OK
          7. Then I typed "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" which loads the module in memory, right now.

Comment

I suspect that step 3 is messing you up. Is your cdrom mounted at /cdrom? I suspect not, but maybe it is. Instead, I would look at the file /etc/fstab. Find the entry for your cdrom. It will say something like:
            Code:
            /dev/hda    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
            which is my entry for an IDE cdrom drive on a computer with a SATA hard drive. Your's might have a different /dev address, but that doesn't matter. The important fact is not the /dev pseudofile, but rather the mount point "/media/cdrom0" (on my machine). Copy down the mount point for your machine. You need to add a step 2b after step 2. "2b. Mount the cdrom
            Code:
            mount /media/cdrom0
            Where you should substitute your mount point for my "/media/cdrom0". Then step 3 becomes
            Code:
            ndiswrapper -i /media/cdrom0/lsbcmnds.inf

Comment

I would be curious to know if you ever got this working? Seems like wireless networking frustrates us Linux novices to the point of reinstalling windows and I'm just curious to know if that's what you ended up doing.

I'm also here attempting to get the exact same card working on Kubuntu 7.10, so far it's not going to well for me either :\

Comment

Working...
              X