This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing nvidia driver

howdy all, i just got Kubuntu installed on my system after some playing around with the live cd, and I'm in the process of going through the long list off adding functionality to it, IE installing mp3 support, java, flash, yada yada. I decided to start off with the nvidia driver, and i am following the guide listed https://wiki.kubuntu.org/BinaryDrive...t=%28nvidia%29
    there
    this is a clean installed system and all I have done is enable all the disabled packages in adept manager as seen bellow

then ran a full update. after then I began to follow the guide mentioned above and installed nvidia-glx for my geforce 6600

the next part talks about linux-restricted-modules which I didn't understand, it said i need to install the restricted module for my computer, but how do i know which one? is it based on my processor? my distro type? or something else?

so I proceeded to skip this step, and go on to enabling the driver, so I run the command
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    and got the following response from the Konsole

I restarted X with ctrl-alt-backspace, just to see and got no splash screen, so my question is what have I done wrong?
    some basic info on my system
    ___
    amd64 3000+
    2 gigs pc 3200
    2 80 GB WD sata 7200 rpm hardrives
    uli/ali chaintech m1689 mainboard
    asus geforce 6600 agp8x vid card
    Kubuntu 6.06 i386
    Linux knowledge, basic

EDIT: just changed my repositories to the ones listed here
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_d...a_repositories

and did an update

Re: installing nvidia driver

The linux-restricted-module that you need to install is based on what kernel you are using. To find out which kernel you are using, open up Konsole, and type in
    Code:
    uname -r
    This will display the kernel version you are using. Take note of that and look for a linux-restricted-modules package that matches your kernel.

After having installed that, try configuring nvidia again. When I installed mine, I used the command
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    This guide might also be a good reference, but take note that it uses the command line: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

looks like its already installed

EDIT: i ran the command
      Code:
      sudo nvidia-xconfig
      and got the following output from konsole

restarted X-server with ctrl--alt-backspace, and didnt get an nvidia splashcreen

EDIT: while looking through the command line guide posted by Jucato i saw the command nvidia-setting and ran it and got the nvidia X server settings window, so im guesing its installed, why dont i get a splash screen? and how do i know for sure that its installed?

Comment

Well, it seems that your nvidia driver has been installed successfully. As to why there's no nvidia splash screen, I could only think of 2 possible reasons:
        1. somehow it has been turned off (it can be done, I just don't know how).
        2. It happens so fast you can barely see it. I think this is more likely, given your system specs. But as long as nvidia is working properly, I don't think that splash screen is absolutely necessary.

How do you know it's installed?
        1. browse through /etc/X11/xorg.conf and check if there's a line that says driver "nvidia". If it's there, it's already installed and working.
        2. open up NVIDIA Settings. If there's a whole lot of info there, then it's working fine. Click on the OpenGL stuff to see if it's working properly.
        3. Press Alt+F2 and enter "glxgears" to check if OpenGL is working properly. If you see a smooth animation of spinning gears, then everything is working fine.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
        X