X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access Windows

Hi everyone

i'm having trouble accessing my Windows partition. Please help me.

I mount it in directory mnt/windows and i added this line in fstab: /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows ntfs user,noauto 0 0

The error that i'm getting is when i click on the Storage Media that corresponds to the partition, which appers mounted, but it gives me this error:
    Code:
    Could not enter folder /mnt/windows.
    when i try unmounting it it gives an error again:
    Code:
    umount: only root can unmount /dev/sda2 from /mnt/windows
    Please check that the device is plugged correctly.
    Can you guys help me out here? I can't be switching back and forth all the time to access my files.

Here's the commands i used to mount my drive:
    sudo mkdir mnt/windows
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows
    and then sudo kate fstab to edit fstab.

BTW as you can seei used sudo, cause i can't log in as root! What is wrong there? How can i have a root account? I just switched from Mandriva, and i can't figure out how to log in as root or su. It's really annoying typing sudo every time i want to do anything on my computer. Kdesu does not appear when i'm trying to copy or modisy folders on the desktop.

So my questions are basically 2.
    -How can i access my files from the mounted Windows partition,
    -and how can i set up my root account and be prompted to enter the root password from the desktop when copying/modifying files.

Thanks for all in advance. You are great.

Re: Can't access Windows

hey i found a link that pretty much explains everything i needed to know about root & sudo. https://wiki.kubuntu.org/RootSudo

I still can't access my Windows partition however. Nothing prompts me to enter sudo mode. Does this have anything to do with the fact that my partition is NTFS? I have another partition NTFS and i can access that one just fine. I try changing permissions ( sudo chmod 774 /mnt/windows ) but i get an error again.
    Code:
    chmod:
    changing permissions of `/mnt/windows'
    : Read-only file system
    no Windows for me. Please help me out guys.

Comment

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

thank you!!! this one really did work. I've tried so many other ways, but yours simply worked. Good job, thanks.

Very nice. I'm all Kubuntu from now on. 8)

Comment

Working...
        X