This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu hangs with nvidia driver

I'm very new to linux & my computer hangs in daper drake since I finally got the nvidia driver to work. I don't know if it is the driver or something else. I thought it was when scrolling with or without wheel mouse or arrows. anyway I'm loving Kubuntu can't wait till it's stable.

by hang, I mean the mouse cursor moves all over but the screen does not resond to any point click or keyboard action. I don't think it's the hardware because I didn't have this problem with ubuntu daper drake (I ran it for about a week) but never got the nvidia driver to work.

I have a kt7a raid 1.2ghz thunderbird 512 mb ram & geforce4 mx 420 i guess that's the pertinent info

Re: kubuntu hangs with nvidia driver

Does it start hanging in one particular program, or in anything that happens to be running? How frequently does this happen, within 5 minutes of starting KDE, once every two weeks, or what? Take a look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Look for lines that start either with (WW) or, much worse, (EE). You can live with most (WW) entries (like not having cyrillic fonts in a locale that doesn't use them, but an (EE) is usually bad news. Someone more knowledgable than I, may suggest other logs you ought to take a look at as well.

Comment

I decided to re-install the latest dapper CD onto a different hard drive and use it for a while I got too frustrated with the hangs, sometimes not for a day, sometimes after an hour, but got more frequent to about within minutes of boot. I'm sure now that it is a problem with the nvidia-glx, or proprietary nvidia driver instead of nv. I still don't know enough to fix the problem, to get it working though I followed everything I could find on the internet & it all left out this part, I went to "system settings - display - administrator mode - enter pw - hardware tab - and for graphics card I chose configure & chose the proprietary driver to switch from nv to nvidia

I liked having hardware acceleration, looked nice but it hangs intermittently

Comment

changing to AGP 2x made it rock solid so far, about 4 days on without any hangs. In my KT7A RAID Mobo bios, I only have "AGP 4X = enable/disable" I chose "disabled" to switch it to AGP 2X & get the proprietary NVIDIA driver to work.

Comment

not that this helps or anything.....but i have pretty much your same exact system running flight 7 flawlessly. my only difference is 1.4 t-bird and gf mx440. i am running the latest nvidia driver from nvidia now as well as the 2.6.16.16 kernel. prior, on a vanilla install i still had no problems.

things you can check though...positive you don't have any hardware issues, physically in nature...if not, did your iso burn correctly? i have had issues in the past where my iso was either corrupt, or i just had a bad burn. looked like everything installed fine, but when i went to run it just flat out wouldn't work.

what i would do... (the following is taken from previous posts on the ubuntu forums, just cleaned up a little so you don't have to search like crazy).
          download the latest kernel from kernel.org which happens to be 2.6.16.16 at this time. once downloaded procede to the following:

sudo apt-get install build-essential bin86 kernel-package
          sudo apt-get install libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev
          sudo cp linux-2.6.16.16.tar.bz2 /usr/src
          cd /usr/src
          sudo tar -xvjf linux-2.6.16.16.tar.bz2
          sudo rm -rf linux (only if a linux link is already in the /usr/src directory, otherwise you can skip)
          sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.16 linux
          cd /usr/src/linux
          sudo cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
          sudo make xconfig

use this thread for performance tips

once you complete all that, make sure you save and then exit out.

sudo make-kpkg clean
          sudo make-kpkg -initrd --revision=16 kernel_image

once that finishes (grab a drink and watch some tv, up to half an hour probably)...

cd ../
          sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16.16_16_i386.deb

reboot once this completes...if you still have issues, or want to upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers then you can goto www.nvidia.com, dl the latests for linux ia32 which happen to be 8756 package. once downloaded you do this....

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev
          sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run
          sudo reboot

if you still have issues after all of this, then i would start to expect hardware issue...heat causes lockups like what you are experiencing as well as memory and cpu issues.  good luck and keep us posted.
          Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Working...
          X