Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Tv-tuner (saa7134) and onboard soundcard (alsa)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Tv-tuner (saa7134) and onboard soundcard (alsa)

I needs help to solve this problem.

I have tv-card that requires the saa7134 driver to be loaded with the options card=2 and tuner=38.
    At the boot time, saa7134 is loaded, i don't know with which option but, but to get tvtime work properly i have to do
    sudo modprobe -r saa7134
    sudo modprobe saa7134 card=2 tuner=38

To avoid thes two command each time i do this
    sudo echo "options saa7134 card=2 tuner=38" > /etc/modprobe.d/saa7134

The driver is now loaded at the boot with the right options, but randomly before or afther the alsa driver have been loaded.

when saa7134 ist loaded first it creates /dev/dsp and alsa creates /dev/dsp1. Then i will not get sound from the system.

When alsa is first loaded, all goes OK.

The problem is that I don't know which driver will be loaded first.

How can i resolve this Problem?

Re: Problem with Tv-tuner (saa7134) and onboard soundcard (alsa)

Hello,

not much help from me on this one, there is a way to order the way modules work but I cannot remember for the life of me...............

Will do some research and post back.

Will

Comment

Bump. I'm highly interested in this answer in so much as I have onboard VIA 8237 sound and an ASUS TV FM Tuner PCI card which runs from a SAA7134 chip, and for the life of me I get no sound whatsoever either.

I figured the two were conflicting somehow as both show up and running and doing fine, however there is no sound.

When I ran amarok in a terminal, it produced a slew of errors relating to an invalid input device which got me thinking the problem might be with the SAA7134.

As well, the VIA 8237 chip is being listed in alsa as the 3rd card (1st being a logitech webcam with microphone, second being the TV card).

As a cross reference, my thread with all related output's is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5705.0

Comment

Have you tried listing the modules in /etc/modules?
        /etc/init.d/module-init-tools seems to read that in order and modprobe each module in it.

Comment

I resolved this problem by adding line "blacklist saa7134_alsa" to "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" file, and by adding line "saa7134_alsa" to "/etc/modules".

Comment

The card order is determined by the last lines in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base; the ones that end in "index=-2". Subsitute the appropriate drivers for your card(s) and change the index numbers to 0, 1, etc. with 0 being the first sound device to load..

If you're not accessing the tuner's sound via the PCI bus, (i.e. if you have a cable between the tuner and the sound card or motherboard) you don't need saa7134-alsa, so blacklist it as Danko suggests.

Comment

Working...
            X