This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powernowd not scaling cpu freq after dist upgrade

Hi, I recently upgraded my OS from breezy to dapper and the cpu frequency remains always the same. I have a nforce2 motherboard with amd athlon xp mobile 2400@1837mhz and in breezy I used powernowd to step the frequency.

Code:
    powernowd:  cpu0: 1287Mhz - 1837Mhz (7 steps)
    Now it's always at 1837mhz. i've modprobe'd all the modules again(cpufreq-userspace, cpufreq-nforce2), no errors. It's not really a big problem, but when I'm not using the pc, I would like to keep the cpu cool and consume less power.
    Hope anyone can help me.

Re: Powernowd not scaling cpu freq after dist upgrade

Forgive me for not supplying you with a solution to your problem but have you tried searching Ubuntu's bugzilla? If that is really a bug then that is the place to share that information.

Once again, forgive me for not helping

Comment

I tried here first, maybe someone already had this problem, if not I'll use bugzilla...

Comment

Hi,

Are you sure your laptop is not always in a way in use ? I had this trouble before and I've changed settings of powernowd to be less agressive (not to higher cpu all the time) and it's working much better...
        You can try by :
        sudo powernowd -m 2
        it should pass your cpu in passive mode

If it's working, tell me and I will check out what file I've modified to take it forever.

Cheers

Comment

It's a Desktop, with a mobile cpu, it worked flawlessly in breezy with the cpufreq-nforce2 module, and I have a superkaramba applet on the desktop that shows the cpu usage and frequency realtime. I saw that there is a bug reported Here but when I'm at home I'll try with the 386 kernel.

Comment

With the 2.6.15-21-386 kernel it works perfectly... with the k7 kernel it does not... I'll follow the bug report at the link above, hope that they fix it

Comment

Working...
            X