This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen all screwed up after update

I just recently updated my kubuntu dapper with adept updater, and next time i restarted i get a screwed up garbled screen! The only thing i can see is the mouse properly. Please someone help me correct this problem. Thanks in advance

Re: Screen all screwed up after update

Sounds like you have an ATI card. It's caused by the latest xserver-xorg-driver-ati driver. A workaround for this is to switch to a tty (CTRL-ALT-F1) when you reach the garbled screen, then switch back (CTRL-ALT-F7). I haven't tried it personally, but a few people say it works.

A more permanent fix is to open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add this line to the "Device" section:

Option "ColorTiling" "false"

Comment

Yes i do have an ati card.... your ctrl alt f7 method worked..... if i change that line what effect will it have... also will this be problem be fixed in the future, so i dont have to edit any lines? Thanks

Comment

The fix is already out. A new ati driver was released this morning. Try upgrading again. If the repository you're using is up to date, you should be able to upgrade to xserver-xorg-driver-ati 1:6.5.7.3-0ubuntu4_i386

Comment

Oh good I thought I was the only one with this problem. I will have to try running a new update when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
          Dan

Comment

Working...
          X