X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "Dapper-Mainboard"

Hi Folks,

I am currently running Dapper on my Notebook (Dell Inspiron 5150 - not the most unproblematic hardware under linux), and am thinking about updating my desktop-pc at home to it (running currentyl a modified Suse 8.3 :-( ). Since I have to reboot and backup the system for the installation, I thought about upgrading the hardware while at it.

Now I was looking for informations about mainboard-compatibility (on dapper or earlier).

I was thinking about an AMD-939-System using an Asus A8N-E:
    how about S-ATA, Cool'n'Quiet, ...

What I need:
    - S-ATA (2)
    - PCI-Express
    - system shouldn't be too noisy (will be running 24/7)

How about Intel-Boards with integrated graphics, heard there will be (/ is) good X-Support for these cards including OpenGL. Anybody had any experience with this?

thanks a lot for your opinions,

so long,
    korgano

Re: Best &quotapper-Mainboard"

Intel integrated graphics (GMA900 or GMA950) will not really support the 3D option that smoothly. I heard the "cube" can be run normal, but "bobbly" effects are too slow to be of any use. I have tried some on my GMA900 (Intel 915Gm chipset), but even simple Translucency doesnt run easily. I recommend Nvidia.

Comment

Re: Best &quotapper-Mainboard"

I happen to be running Breezy on a brand-new (last month) ASUS A8N-E with an Athlon-64 3800+ with an Nvidia 6600, and a Seagate SATA-300 drive. I've got a fairaly quiet cooler from Zalman, but the major noise sources here are out of my control so it really doen't matter. My only regret is not going for dual core because there isn't enough software available now that uses dual core. However, this system is going to be my prime system for at least three years and then will trickle down to my wife (who does a lot of email and web-browsing, but nothing much else) for another 3 years. By that time there will be a lot of a dual core capable s/w.

Go for as much power as you can afford.

Comment

Working...
      X