This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to install HP JetDirect card IP printers on KUBUNTU

These 4V and 4 Plus HP LaserJets have JetDirect cards, and connect directly to the router. I've used them as TCP/IP printers for years on various Windows peer networks up thru XP. They each have a static IP address, subnet mask, and use the default gateway. They have always worked fine on windows workgroup (mshome) peer networks.

They do install & work fine on (Gnome) UBUNTU 6.06 which tells me that it CAN be done, but I just can't install them on KUBUNTU 6.06. The KDE Add Printer Wizard might work (although I doubt it at this point) but I can't I can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong with it.

If you know how, please reply. ANY assistance would be very much appreciated.

TYVM

Re: Trying to install HP JetDirect card IP printers on KUBUNTU

How exactly did you do it on ubuntu, because you should just be able to do the exact same thing in kubuntu.

Comment

Re: Trying to install HP JetDirect card IP printers on KUBUNTU

I did it strictly through the add printer gui in Ubuntu. In less than two hours with zero experience with any Linux, I had connected the two jetdirect card HP lasers and they worked fine.

The Kubuntu add printer gui is markedly different and has some strange, say obscure, screen entry fields that make little sense... in fact several other posters have mentioned these subnet mask entry fields and port choice fields... and said they had the exact same prob w/jetdirect printers. They enter what they believe the correct info to be - variants of 255.255.xxx.xxx along with the port, usually 9100, 9101, 9102, and 631, and the IP of the printer card, and run up against the same brick wall - a scan for their printers on these settings produces nothing - whereas these same printers are functioning fine on their existing peer nets that they're attempting to connect their new Linux node to.

I'm just burned out on Kubuntu. No big deal, just the way Kubuntu is. Back to Ubuntu where I can get lots more done much easier.

But I'm still interested in what the Kubuntu problem was from an intellectual standpoint. I don't give up easily on probs like this and admitting that Kubuntu and its "add printer wizard" defeated me is difficult. But it did, fair and square.

Comment

Working...
      X