This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing problem

At the moment, about 4 mins after I boot the computer up, It freezes.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I have a feeling it could be the CPU overheating, how can I find out what the problem is.

I have had the problem before, but Only when applying network settings.

I should point out that my case fan is broken, but has been for about a year.

After the second freeze, When i booted, I was told the bios had forgotten the CPU's speed, and Had to reset it, I'm not sure if that helps.

What should I do? How do I find out the problem?

Re: Freezing problem

I'd suggest that you boot your system in "Recovery Mode" (the second option on the Grub menu), then wait and see if you get an error message when the system freezes. Alternatively, you could look at top (or from KDE at Ksysguard) and see what's happening when your system fails.

Comment

Ok, Ill give that a go.

Could you remind me how to boot into recovery again?

Comment

Its the second line in the Grub menu. As soon as your BIOS starts to boot, press ESC until the Grub menu appears then use the down arrow key to choose the second entry which is conveniently labeled "Recovery mode". That will put you into a black and white full screen console. If it says "login:" enter your username. However, it should go direct to a password prompt. If it goes direct to a password prompt enter your password. Then hope for an error message when the machine stalls. In the worst case, you'll get so many messages that you won't be able to keep track.

Comment

Working...
        X