Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epson CX6400 driver was on Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson CX6400 driver was on Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu.

I'm new to linux, I have been using Ubuntu for the past couple of weeks. Had no problems installing my Epson Stylus CX6400.

I formatted my Ubuntu partition and installed Kubuntu. Now when I try to add the printer there is an epson section in the drivers but no Epson CX6400.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Epson CX6400 driver was on Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu.

Yes, it happened to me too, with my Stylus C84. The general answer is "You need to download and install the Gutenprint driver for your printer model". The specifics are described, kinda-sorta, in this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081829.0

It's not as detailed as the average noob would wish, unfortunately. See if you can follow the rabbit trail that is in the thread, and then yell again if you get stuck. Probably the trickiest part is to review in the Gutenprint material and then execute the process to convert the .rpm file to a Debian package file. It's not complicated, but it was the first time I had ever done that, and I haven't done it since so I don't remember exactly, but it was only 2 or 3 special commands to get it done.

Hope this helps ...

Comment

Thanks for the reply:

I have now installed the Gutenprint Driver package: x86 32 bit: 5.0.0.99.1 (LSB 3.1)

I went through the add printer wizard and browsed to the Stylus CX6400 driver.

I also tried the simplified C64 driver: Epson-Stylus_C64-gutenprint.5.0.sim-en.ppd.gz

Both should work, but after adding the printer using this driver and trying to print a test page (or any page), the print job just sits in the job queue with state 'Error'.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DannyW
        Any more ideas?
        Did you take a look at CUPS's log files (to be accessed e.g. via http://localhost:631/admin)?

Comment

That URL didn't provide anything for me: "couldn't connect to localhost:631"

I haven't changed anything from the default settings, so not sure why this wouldn't work if it should.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyW
            That URL didn't provide anything for me
            Am I supposed to understand that be that as it may: the logs are supposed to be in /var/log/cups ...

Comment

No error's are put into the error log file when trying to add the printer or print the test page.

It seems I have had some luck though!

Installing the gutenprint driver package I mentioned earlier from the openprinting website was not enough. I went through adept and added most of the gutenprint stuff (and manually removed the one installed manually from the website).

I also reinstalled cups to get the standard cupsd.conf.

I now have installed: cupsys-driver-gutenprint, foomatic-db-gutenprint, gutenprint-locales, ijsgutenprint, libgutenprint2, libgutenprintui2-1

Can't give a technical explanation to what was wrong, or why this works, but it may help someone else.

Comment

Working...
              X