X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu to an External USB HD...problems

Hello All,
    I am a N00B...and I am trying to install Kubuntu on my Maxtor One Touch II 100GB USB External HD. This is a brand new drive with nothing on it. I have and HP dv6ooonr Pavilion Laptop; Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 @ 1.60Ghz and 1.60 GHz; 1014MB RAM; 32-bit operating system.

I searched for and found instructions on how to load and install Ubuntu on a USB External HD. I followed the instructions for install but was using a Kubuntu LiveCD. I set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, then External HD, then regular HD.

Everything went swimmingly until it got to the part where I was asked whether I wanted to format the drive

A screen came up:
    The following partitions are going to formatted:
    Partition #1 of dev/sdc as ext3
    Partition #5 of dev/sdc as swap

Then another screen came up that said formatting scsi5 (0,0,0)(sdc)

It finished after several seconds and I got an error message:
    "Failed to create a file system"

It then began another screen that said Detecting file systems which died at 14%

Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong?

Thanks for the help!

MEWolf

Re: Installing Kubuntu to an External USB HD...problems

Applies analogously: http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....k_0610:install (I'm afraid ...)

Comment

I went to that link...read the article, but I still do not understand what the problem is, or what I need to do to fix it...could you be a bit more specific as to the steps I need to follow to fix the problem?

Thanks!
      MEWolf

Comment

Grab a copy of the GParted liveCD, prepare your harddisk with this tool in advance - and try to "keep alive" this disk layout while installing Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X