X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ntfs to fat32

Hello,

i am a new user of kubuntu. I keep windows xp as a second OS.
    I would want to use all my data on my discs formated in NTFS. I have understood that i had to format them in FAT32 if i wanted to be able to write on them with my Kubuntu session.

So, in windows XP, i have formated one of my partition in FAT32. In Kubuntu, i can now see this drive with a normal blue folder icon but i cannot still write on it...
    How to do?

Secondly, i have another drive that i wanted to format in fat32 under my WinXp session but there were only the Ntfs option...

Thanks for your precious help.

Re: ntfs to fat32

Here's a lot of information about sharing data between Windows and Kubuntu:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

Note that (K)Ubuntu can read (i.e. copy) data from your Win NTFS partitions, but cannot write (i.e. save) to NTFS partitions. So if your purpose is to give Linux access to data on NTFS partitions, nothing special needs to be done -- it's only if you want to save data from Linux for the Windows user to have that you need the fancy techniques.

HTH

Comment

Re: ntfs to fat32

Originally posted by dibl
      Note that (K)Ubuntu can read (i.e. copy) data from your Win NTFS partitions, but cannot write (i.e. save) to NTFS partitions.
      Well it can, but with the default ntfs driver it is very dangerous.

For writing to ntfs you may check out the new ntfs-3g driver. (there are a few good howtos for installing/using ntfs-3g on the net, just google for 'ubuntu ntfs-3g howto', make sure you're following dapper instructions, as the process is a bit different in edgy/feisty...DISCLAIMER: ntfs-3g is not beta anymore, but it's still quite new, so there still might be bugs/problems with it, so if you have important data, keep your back-ups up-to date)

If you only wish to read from ntfs, the default driver will do fine.

Comment

Working...
      X