Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Random hard lockups, trying to understand how to diagnose.
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
Do a lengthy ie. complete memory test. I had issues that caused my PC to reboot intermittently only when playing games on Windows 11. With normal use, or when using Linux, this issue would not occur. I used Memtest and only showed up after half an hour or so into the test. One of my memory modules was intermittently faulty.
- Top
- Bottom
-
The power supply is about 7 years old, it's something I've kept in mind.Originally posted by jlittle View PostPower supply? You don't mention it, but if it's a similar age as the GTX 960, it's getting old. My desktop's nearly 10 year old PSU failed recently, though it just shut off rather than locking up.
I was seeing this in the logs on boot:
I have now updated my BIOS and the errors no longer appear- will see if the crashes continueCode:2026-01-26T12:00:51.697844-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697846-05:00 anselpc smartd[966]: Device: /dev/sdb, type changed from 'scsi' to 'sat' 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697848-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 0: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697848-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697849-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 1: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697849-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697849-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 2: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697850-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697849-05:00 anselpc smartd[966]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], opened 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697853-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 3: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697854-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697854-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 4: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697854-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697855-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 5: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697855-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697853-05:00 anselpc smartd[966]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], PNY CS900 240GB SSD, S/N:PNY22382209210107AAE, WWN:5-f8db4c-223807aae, FW:CS900T13, 240 GB 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697859-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 6: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697859-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697860-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 7: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697860-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697860-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 8: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697860-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697859-05:00 anselpc smartd[966]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], found in smartd database 7.3/5528: Phison Driven SSDs 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697861-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 9: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.696704-05:00 anselpc rsyslogd: imuxsock: Acquired UNIX socket '/run/systemd/journal/syslog' (fd 3) from systemd. [v8.2504.0] 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697866-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697866-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 10: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697867-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: min_freq(0) or max_freq(0) or nominal_freq(0) value is incorrect 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697867-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: Failed to initialize CPU 11: -22 2026-01-26T12:00:51.697867-05:00 anselpc kernel: amd_pstate: failed to register with return -19
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Power supply? You don't mention it, but if it's a similar age as the GTX 960, it's getting old. My desktop's nearly 10 year old PSU failed recently, though it just shut off rather than locking up.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Random hard lockups, trying to understand how to diagnose.
Hi all, I've had persistent issues with my machine hard locking up- unable to provide any input to the system, have to hard reboot. It occurs randomly with no pattern in timing or applications or system usage, and happened sporadically since I switched from windows 10 to Kubuntu in fall of 2025. There's seemingly no trace of the crash or any errors in my logs, from what I can tell.
I'm just a casual/hobbyist user, and I have an okay enough understanding to get by. I am unsure where else to go with finding the cause of the issue. I'm aware of the common ryzen processor issues relating to c-states, but the fixes have not resolved the issue.
Here are my specs:
Operating System: Kubuntu 25.10
KDE Plasma Version: 6.4.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.17.0
Qt Version: 6.9.2
Kernel Version: 6.17.0-8-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Memory: 32 GiB of RAM (2x 16GB DDR4)
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
PNY CS900 240GB SSD (OS Drive)
WDC WDS 500G2B0A-00SM50 (Home Drive)
Things I have tried:
Swapping graphics cards, checking cable connections: no change.
memory test, 2.5 hours: all pass.
disabling c-state control in BIOS: no change.
disabling c6 c-state via ZenStates: no change.
It's a bit hard to test since I just have to make a change and wait to see if the crashes continue, which could be hours or days between. Anyway, thank you in advance for any guidance.Tags: None
- Top
- Bottom
Users Viewing This Topic
Collapse
There are 0 users viewing this topic.
Leave a comment: