Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dim, grey Google Chrome

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [Software] Dim, grey Google Chrome

    After upgrading to Kubuntu 25.10 I found that Chrome Version 142.0.7444.59 (Official Build) (64-bit), installed using the Chrome apt repo, was not as bright as it should be. I have HDR enabled and calibrated on Plasma, and would like to keep it that way.

    I found a workaround from a chatbot:
    cp /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
    ​sed -i -r "s/google-chrome-stable/google-chrome-stable --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=x11/g" ~/.local/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop
    ​
    Unfortunately this kills the ability of Chrome to play HDR videos, which I was looking forward to. But I guess an HDR video isn't much fun if the maximum white is still grey.

    This is using an AMD Radeon 780M Graphics integrated graphics card.
    ​
    If this ever gets fixed in Chrome, where I assume the problem lies, then the desktop override will need to be deleted again to take advantage of the change...
    rm -f ~/.local/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X