X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A WINE problem

Hi
    This was a problem of an older version of an older commercial app which will not run on the latest version of WINE as found with Kubuntu 21.04.

If a moderator wants to leave the thread with the caveat that it would apply to a person with my situation that might inquire and I could visit about the app and another app then please retain the thread of delete it.

FOR ANOTHER PERSON... the PRESENT WINE WILL RUN a legacy app, in this case a crossword maker, but it will not run a legacy "book company test making application" .

For most folks WINE should work just fine.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 27, 2021, 11:59 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Chris TItus, in his YouTube channel, treats WINE very nicely and shows how to use a winebottle to install windows executable. Here is an example:
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, a "small" virtual machine with a "small" amount of memory... is a bit vague.
      If you have 8G of RAM and a decent processor, they'll run quite fast, just allocate 4G to them.
      If you have less, they'll run slower, but they'll still run. Presumably those programs are not too big or resource-intensive.

You can get official and legal Windows images from MS themselves at https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/
      The have them for VirtualBox or VMware - which will run on Ubuntu.
      The Win7 and 8 images "expire after 90 days". Except, in my experience, they don't - meaning, they say they're expired, but they keep running.
      In case they do, you can either take a snapshot of the recent working install (of you software, the images are just that, no install necessary), restore it, or re-download the image and re-install your software.

Comment

Hi guys!
        And thank you both, for your suggestions and comments but I decided to take a different direction.

And yes, GG I DID watch the video and learned about the processor ALSO!

As I have posted elsewhere I happened onto a huge hard drive and installed 21.04 on it specifically to be able to run an Epson Ecotank which works like a breeze on the OS.

So, the easy thing to do is to dig out the 19.04 disc and:

a ) dual boot 19.04 onto a very small part of the huge drive and run only the app in question or possibly the crossword puzzle app ( which DOES work on 21.04.)

b ) Or, I could dig out another smaller drive and install 19.04 onto it and have two hard drives in the device.

So, thanks for the suggestions!!

woody
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 28, 2021, 12:01 AM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X