X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android Debug Bridge in Kubuntu 21.04

Hello,
    I just downloaded and installed Kubuntu 21.04. And - except for the "usual" teething woes - everything works fine, even the Nouveau driver for my ancient NVIDIA 340-108 graphics card!
    I want to use adb for backup/restore of Android apks and data. This works fine under 20.04. But - under 21.04 - when (eg.) entering adb devices or simply starting the adb server, I get the following error message:
    sudo adb devices
    List of devices attached
    * daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
    ADB server didn't ACK
    Full server startup log: /tmp/adb.0.log
    Server had pid: 29481
    --- adb starting (pid 29481) ---
    adb I 02-28 20:11:24 29481 29481 main.cpp:57] Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.39
    adb I 02-28 20:11:24 29481 29481 main.cpp:57] Version 1:8.1.0+r23-8
    adb I 02-28 20:11:24 29481 29481 main.cpp:57] Installed as /usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/adb
    adb I 02-28 20:11:24 29481 29481 main.cpp:57]
    adb I 02-28 20:11:24 29481 29481 adb_auth_host.cpp:416] adb_auth_init...
    adb I 02-28 20:11:24 29481 29481 adb_auth_host.cpp:174] read_key_file '/root/.android/adbkey'...
    munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer

* failed to start daemon
    error: cannot connect to daemon
    By the way - the firewall is inactive according to ufw status.
    I wonder whether anybody can help. Thanks in advance
    H. Stoellinger

I used to use abd but I switched to KDEconnect, installed on both my Android phone and this laptop and it works beautifully. I have activated all of its features. When my phone rings I answer it. When I get a text msg I respond to it. I can send files either way and they move fast. I still have to leave the Android debug feature on for KDEconnect to work but that's no problem.

PS: My ufw firewall is not active, but the firewall on my DD-WRT powered wifi firewall is up.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 28, 2021, 04:05 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There is the option to download adb directly, it is still a self contained executable, that runs from wherever you extracted it to.

Not finding anything clear on the error you see
      Did you just iunstall the adb package, or the meta-package that installs all the ancilliary stuff:

android-tools-adb and maybe android-tools-fastboot

Actually, doing some filtering on the search
      https://www.google.com/search?channe...Bubuntu+%2Badb

as you are running 21.04 (which is still very much a pre-release btw), there may be a mismatch between the different components used with ADB at the moment. See the second result in my link, the Debian bug report.

Comment

adb and 21.04

I installed 21.04 because I was unhappy with 20.10 for various reasons. Yes, I know it is still very "pre-release". Lots of components experience updates every day. But - it works nicely in general and I do like KDE-Plasma 5.21. Still, keeping also 20.10 on the laptop in addition, I can always run adb on THAT base for the time being. adb is great for backup/restore of my Sony smart phone, particularly when also using the adb-splitter tool in addition, thus splitting up a monolithic backup into the various apks. I installed both android-tools-adb and maybe android-tools-fastboot.
        Thanks for trying to help.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        There is the option to download adb directly, it is still a self contained executable, that runs from wherever you extracted it to.

Not finding anything clear on the error you see
        Did you just iunstall the adb package, or the meta-package that installs all the ancilliary stuff:

android-tools-adb and maybe android-tools-fastboot

Actually, doing some filtering on the search
        https://www.google.com/search?channe...Bubuntu+%2Badb

as you are running 21.04 (which is still very much a pre-release btw), there may be a mismatch between the different components used with ADB at the moment. See the second result in my link, the Debian bug report.

Comment

Thanks for trying to help! I also use KDEConnect and i works fine. However, it does NOT have the same functionality as adb (eg. for backup/recovery). Actually I can also transfer files using Dolphin. Different tools, different goals!
          Regards from Austria

Comment

Using Dolphin to copy files to & from my Android phone is easy to do by using
            adb usb
            A dialog pops up from the system tray offering 3 options and I chose "Browse with the file manager".

adb push or pull only works if I sudo to root first.

What's really neat is to run scrcpy and see your smartphone display on your laptop screen and respond to control msgs from the computer.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Your suspicion about 21.04 components is most likely correct. I tried out adb on my Debian 10 system, and everything works fine.

Comment

Working...
              X