This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to mount my second HDD on login RW?

Hi. I want to mount my second HDD on login without playing with fstab myself. I want to find a user-friendly way.
    I found that I can make that by going to System Settings > Removable Media > and checking Enable automatic mounting and clicking on checkbox below login corresponding to my device. Yes my device is now mounted in /media/$USER/*GUID* but I can't modify it. It's mounted in RO instead RW. It's possible to mount my disk RW from GUI without playing with fstab?

Write a bash script with the mount command in it and give it the execute permission.
    Add that script to the Settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> Autostart script section.
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # script to mount a drive when logging into the home account
    #
    # echo "Mounting drive"
    eval "mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/yourdrivesuuid /home/youracct/directory"
    ************************************************** *********************************

More information is here
    or here.

You could open Dolphin, go to Settings-->Configure Dolphin-->Services and click on Download New Services. Choose one you like and install it as a rightmouse option in Dolphin.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 02, 2021, 09:39 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by t0ssox
      It's mounted in RO instead RW.
      Is this NTFS? A common reason that such drives are mounted RO is that Windows "fast boot" is on, and the volume is marked as in use by Windows. You'd need to boot back into Windows, and unmount the drive there, or turn off fast boot to fully shut down windows. If you don't have access to Windows, and you need to fix a NTFS, please ask here.

Otherwise, do you mean "ro" shows in the mount options, or that you can't write to it? That is, if you run
      Code:
      mount | grep media
      does it have "ro," in the options in the parentheses? If it does, this can be caused by file system damage. Please report this here if so.

If, as is typical, the file system is FAT32, aka vfat, if it's mounting ro there's something wrong with the udev rules.

If not, if the file system is a normal Linux one, ordinary permissions apply, and unless you change them you won't be able to write to the drive. I typically use sudo chgrp adm /media/john/name; sudo chmod g+rw /media/john/name as I'm in the adm group.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Easiest way is to RMB removable devices in system tray> configure removable devices > click automount on login and attach for the device you want mounted. Works for me with no problem.
        Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
        *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
        *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
        *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Comment

Working...
        X