This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Rediscovered Kubuntu In Groovy Gorilla

The last couple of weeks I have been searching for the perfect Distro that was on par with Swindows 10, long time Swindows user since the early 90's Always wanted to use Linux but could never get it to work with my pc's over the years, there always seemed to be something that didn't work right or mainly I didn't understand how to fix it. Lately I've tried every Arch Distro and have come up very disappointed.

I always had problems with Kubuntu and have always hated the look of Ubuntu, I've tried all the various Distros using KDE/Plasma last distro being MX 19.3 which worked fine for a few days than took a crap on me for no reason. So I gave Kubuntu a try and was expecting the worse, tried to install about 5 times only to have the installer crash, what a PITA!!!

I remember reading to not include 3rd party and updates at install, well what do you know it installed. i did the min install. Been on this for about a week and it's as fast or faster than Swin 10, boot's up fast, shut's down fast and restarts as fast as Swin 10.

What I like most is it has better audio drivers, Swin 10 has drivers that haven't been updated since '15, Bluetooth audio is ok it just doesn't get loud enough like it does on Linux, I really don't know if that's a driver issue but I like how Bluetooth works in linux.

One of the big reasons I want to gravitate from Swindows other than BG's is a total A Hole, is I no longer play games, only reason I was on Swindows in the first place. Anyways so far everything is working great, hopefully it continues to do so, I'm not dual booted with Swindows, Linux is on a separate SDD and I just jump back to Swindows via the BIOS, that works best for me, I've had dualboot nightmares in the past.

Welcome to Linux, Kubuntu, and KFN.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanx!

Comment

Eating my own words now, "Kubuntu why have you forsaken me", what a disaster! Kubuntu installed, no frills, no eye candy just updates when needed, everything working fine until this morning. Turned on the pc and kubuntu wouldn't boot "crap", finally it booted after a few restarts but everything was all wonky, screen was doing some weird flashing thing after booting up than stopped after a few min. If I hovered the mouse over an icon or widget in the panel it would drag it from the panel sticking to the cursor, weirdest thing ever. Tried rebooting, ended up booting to the windows drive and finding out I couldn't access my "D" partition, hmmm Flipped back over to Kubuntu which booted up normal to see if my D-drive on the windows Drive was mounted causing the problem, not mounted but I could access from Kubuntu if I wanted to but not from the Windows Drive, weird Both OS's are on separate ssd's. In windows I couldn't fix the problem, ended up having to reformat the whole win drive. This never has ever happened until now, how it could be because of Kubuntu being on a separate ssd and somehow F'ing things up I have no idea, maybe Wiped the Ubuntu drive too, luckily I have everything saved from my D partition on a usb drive.

Yep, so wanted things to work but like every linux distro out there they aren't working for me, at least not for this pc anyways.

Comment

It's probably neither Kubuntu nor Win10's fault. Perhaps you have some wonky hardware?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            It's probably neither Kubuntu nor Win10's fault. Perhaps you have some wonky hardware?
            It's overclocked, overclocked since day-one, wonder if linux any linux has issue with overclocked pc's? Maybe I've been beating my head into a wall for nothing?

Comment

Reinstalled Kubuntu with default clock speeds, seems OK for now, we'll see how it goes the next few days, I've unplugged my other drive that has a fresh install of windows, these drive will not be sharing.

Comment

So far so good, no weirdness happening, thinking maybe I installed a bad driver, not sure what was causing all the problems but taking it slow. This last install went really well, everything works as it should so far hoping it stays that way. BTW I went back to my overclock I've been running for 7 years 24/7, have had 0 problems as of yet.

Comment

Welcome back!
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by UncleGrandpa View Post
                    It's overclocked, overclocked since day-one, wonder if linux any linux has issue with overclocked pc's? Maybe I've been beating my head into a wall for nothing?
                    Why the need to overclock? I don't think Kubuntu is a gaming distro.
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                      Why the need to overclock? I don't think Kubuntu is a gaming distro.
                      Why would you say that, I must wonder? Kubuntu is excellent for gaming, and many DE comparisons actually show KDE Plasma better for gaming than many / most (more or less tied with XFCE) due to extremely efficient memory useage, and the ability to disable composting once a game is launched.
                      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X