This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation appers to freeze in VMWare Workstation Player

I'm trying to install the kubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso in VMWare Workstation 16 Player, and the install seemed frozen at the splash screen. Nothing happened for like 10 minutes.

Turns out after it asked me for my desired username and password, VMWare somehow completely "drove"/controlled the installer, and I never got prompted for anything (timezone, language partitioning etc.)

Does anyone know how to bypass this?

The best way is to purge VMWare and install virt-manager (quem/kvm) and use it for you VM tool. OS's in the kernel virtual memory run almost as if they are on bare metal.

EDIT: Snowhog is right ... I left out an important element in my post: install Kubuntu on your drive and then run Win10 as a VM using qemu/kvm. Running Kubuntu inside a vm in Windows is like letting the cart pull the horse.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 23, 2021, 11:58 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Actually, if the OP is running Windows, I'd recommend giving Virtualbox a go as an option, if VMWare is giving fits. There is no Virt-manager for Windows as far as I can see.

For the current session, try hitting the esc key, which should hopefully switch from the splash screen and show the underlying boot process, which may show what is going on. Or rather isn't going on.

Comment

+1 to VirtualBox. Myself, I use Oracle's VirtualBox. I find it personally better than the one available via the standard repositories, but that's me.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X