Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Users of Kbuntu 18.04 LTS will soon be offered an automatic upgrade

Hello,

The heading above is copied from Kubuntu web page news. In the past there has been an option in Discover to automatically upgrade to the latest version of Kubuntu. This does not seem to be there at the moment. Will it appear in the near future?

Thanks

Roy

https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-to-upgra...0-04-lts-today

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Comment

Originally posted by theread View Post
      Hello,

The heading above is copied from Kubuntu web page news. In the past there has been an option in Discover to automatically upgrade to the latest version of Kubuntu. This does not seem to be there at the moment. Will it appear in the near future?

Thanks

Roy
      Normally there should be. There was a delay by Ubuntu in turning upgrades on but I'm not sure if this is still the case. And of course there is a chance that the notification is not working on your system so Raider's suggestion above will perform the upgrade.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Many thanks chaps. All done

Roy

Comment

It worked?
          I tried an upgrade (once) rather than a fresh install and it did not work out well.
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

How is your printer support? Does it work properly?

I'm not upgrading until it is absolutely necessary. I hope they have the printers issue solved by next April.

-=Ken=-
            -=Ken=-
            "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
            DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
              How is your printer support? Does it work properly?

I'm not upgrading until it is absolutely necessary. I hope they have the printers issue solved by next April.

-=Ken=-
              What brand, model and version of printer do you have?

I have an HP LaserJet P1606dn monochrome duplex laser printer, which I purchased around late 2010 or early 2011, just a year of so after I joined this forum. From 9.04 Alpha through 20.04 that laser has worked flawlessly.

My previous printer was a an HP 1600 series color ink jet that including a scanner/copier, and supposedly the ability to produce perfect photos on photopaper. I used an entire tank set of color ink with not a single good photo print. It's document printing wasn't much better. I used it for about a month. It's now wrapped in plastic setting on a shelf in the garage. The scanner part works nice but I haven't had a need for that since I got my first smartphone. Now, if I want to copy a document I photograph it and send it to Kubuntu via KDEconnect. Before the ink jet I had a Samsung ML-1210 mono chrome laser which worked perfectly from around 2002 to around 2010, when I got the 1600. Since then it has been the P1606dn all the way.

Printers I tried in the past and will use again is Brothers.
              Printers I tried in the past but will never try again are Cannon, Epson and LexMark,

That's just my personal experience. Linux has gained a considerable market share (contrary to Win-centric website "counts") and many printer mfgrs have, for the most part, printers that are out of the box compatible. My first choice will always be an HP printer, however, despite the 1600 series fiasco.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Canon Pixma MX-922 All-In-One

Hi GG. I'm glad you got the printer support you need. But it appears to me that the printer support for Kubuntu 20.04 is incomplete. I can't find the printer topic from a couple of weeks ago that mentioned there is a new function in 20.04 to automatically find your printer. That would be a neat facility if it worked for everyone. My 20.04 install found my Canon AIO printer but it didn't work correctly. Here is the topic discussing that fiasco.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/77361-Neon-Upgrade-Blues-Printer

-=Ken=-
                -=Ken=-
                "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
                DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                X