X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] How do I get access to SystemD

How do I get access to SystemD ?
    From previous releases, I had to install a UI to get to it.

Why cant this be made easily accessible ?

Have searched, and cannot find how

Thanks.

What do you mean access to systemd?
    Systemd does have tons of documentation, and is a terminal based tool, like most all of Linux's underpinnings and systems.

The same gui tool you used before can be installed on 20.10 -- kde-config-systemd

Is there any specific thing you are looking to do?

Comment

Yes, what you mentioned before was my first thought(as it worked then as you said), and tried it while back, very soon just after I installed 20.10.
      But was surprised when it crippled KDE Plasma, and so from command line got it undone immediately.
      Trying to install that even now would do the same. Please attachment from just now.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210408_MUON-Systemd.png
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	645122

Some further detail below:

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
      Qt Version: 5.14.2
      Kernel Version: 5.8.0-48-generic
      Last edited by sparxz; Apr 08, 2021, 03:13 PM. Reason: extra info

Comment

Ok, so you can't install kde-config-systemd in 20.10, but this third party tool does not appear to have been updated in a while so maybe that is a good thing.

Again systemd does many many things, so is there a specific thing you are trying to do with it?
        Maybe we can use this to narrow down things a bit.

All the GUI tools for systemd look essentially to be dead, outside of Opensuse's Yast and Red Hat's Cockpit serer admin tools that have support baked in to them

https://github.com/GuillaumeGomez/systemd-manager
        this looks the most recent, and has instructions on how to build/install it as a deb file, which looks pretty simple, and allows it it be uninstalled/reinstalled easily.

But not sure how well these older tools can fare with a more current version of Systemd in terms of feature support.

Comment

If you want low level control of system services etc. I think the command line would be way better than a GUI application. The primary control tool for systemd is systemctl.
          Code:
          man systemctl
          for full list of commands and options.

Comment

The ncurses terminal front end "chkservice" is also in the repos.
            https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/1...s-manager.html

Can't beat low-level tools in versatility, but it's nice for viewing status and basic enable/disable, start/stop functions etc.

(I prefer terminal tools for system management, since these work just as well in servers without a GUI, for example)

Comment

Working...
            X