This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma panel with auto-hide unhides when switching windows

My auto-hiding panels "un-hide", or raise themselves, often, on all screens, typically when switching or closing windows, via mouse or keyboard, then remain raised. To get a panel to hide again, I have to click in it, on anything, then move the cursor out of the panel. Only the panel so clicked hides. I've only noticed this with a multi-monitor set-up.

A work-around is to check settings, window management, window behaviour, advanced, special windows, hide utility windows for inactive applications. Then auto-hide works correctly, once each panel gets hidden. Note that there are no "special" or "utility" windows anywhere.

In the KDE.org bug tracker, there are many open panel auto-hide bugs, some going back several years. I added a comment to one of them, because it had activity recently. None of the bugs I looked at matched my problem wholly, and none mentioned my workaround. Nor does search here in KFN, or on Google; hence this post in case someone else searches, and so can try my work-around.
    Regards, John Little

Panel is still buggy, it seems. I installed Groovy on a Dell 2-in-1 a couple of days ago. It was the smoothest installation ever (even dual-boot worked out of the box, without having to enter BIOS settings once) and the system has been rock solid and gorgeous, without any of the old GUI inconsistencies, e.g. between GTK and native Plasma apps.

So ... a perfect experience ... UNTIL today, when I tried to move a quick launcher widget from one panel to another. This has always been buggy, with widget instances often simply disappearing, with no option of bringing them back (without diving into ~/.config and ~/.local etc. Well, today this simple operation completely froze my system, to the point where neither Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Ctrl=Alt-Shift-PageUp/Down did what they're supposed to do. And I couldn't even log from another machine via ssh. I haven't had this happen in years. And all because a simple panel op.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorstenNY View Post
      Panel is still buggy, it seems.
      I get flickering panels at start-up often, on two different systems. Once the mouse moves on to a panel it settles down, but annoying when there's several of them.

Originally posted by ThorstenNY View Post
      , Ctrl-Alt-Backspace,
      These days Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is off by default, you have to turn it on in system settings, input devices, keyboard, advanced tab. Anyway, ctrl-alt-f2 to get a linux console would be a good first choice.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Enabling Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is among the first five things I do on any KDE install. It’s been on. This was a completely unrecoverable crash.

Comment

Working...
        X