This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows vs Linux with the real-time-clock aka RTC

I am transitioning to Kubuntu on my work Windows lap top, a stealth install trying to stay under the radar somewhat for a while, all the time getting my work done. (On Windows I'm using cygwin most of the time anyway, which is a kind of dual-personality situation throwing up nuisance inconsistencies all the time.)

I wasn't surprised when I realized Windows had the clock wrong when rebooting from Linux, as I'd encountered it before. But after searching for the fix, I found recommendations not to mess with Windows and make Linux use local time on the RTC. However, applying the systemd fix
    Code:
    timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock
    I get the scary warning:
    Code:
    Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
          This mode cannot be fully supported. It will create various problems
          with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
          time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
          If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
          'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.

And google finds conflicting advice. Does anyone here on KFN have an interesting opinion?
    Regards, John Little

Can you upgrade your Win10 to Win10 Pro? If so, you can activate the Hyper-V function and then install Kubuntu 20.04.1 as a VM. My son did that on his new HP laptop and he says the Kubuntu runs like a dream and he can switch between the two environments with a single mouse click. Just a thought.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've always fixed Windows to cure this problem. At least when I (fairly rarely) boot to it, and actually notice the clock.
      Can't recall what method I used on Win 10, it has been a while.

I wonder why it is not recommended to change Windows, assuming there are actually legitimate reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Can you upgrade your Win10 to Win10 Pro? If so, you can activate the Hyper-V function and then install Kubuntu 20.04.1 as a VM. My son did that on his new HP laptop and he says the Kubuntu runs like a dream and he can switch between the two environments with a single mouse click.
        Thanks for the idea.

I'd like to get to the point where Kubuntu is in control. I am prejudiced against running Kubuntu in a VM on Windows, I lean towards the opposite, Windows in a VM on Kubuntu.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Thanks for the idea.

I'd like to get to the point where Kubuntu is in control. I am prejudiced against running Kubuntu in a VM on Windows, I lean towards the opposite, Windows in a VM on Kubuntu.
          So does my son but, unfortunately, his remote login at work (he's been working from home for a year) won't allow anything but Win10 to login with. Ergo...
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

FWIW, Windows 10 Home and Kubuntu 20.10 have been happily coexisting on my 2-in-1 laptop for more than a month now in a straight (non-VM) dual-boot setup.

I originally kept Windows for testing, but now I do routinely log into Windows once a day to watch some streaming service (which doesn?t support whatever service is used for DRM on the Kubuntu side.) After switching OSs, the clock on both sides is always off at first (always by 6 hours, the difference between Eastern Standard Time and UTC.)

But on Kubuntu, it automatically changes to the correct time within a minute or so of logging in, whereas it takes a bit longer on Windows (but eventually also happens.) I can make this happen faster by toggling the Set timezone and time automatically toggles in the control center.

Bottom line, unless you rely on the exact time at login (for some script or whatever), this shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorstenNY
              Bottom line, unless you rely on the exact time at login (for some script or whatever), this shouldn't be a problem.
              I have had trouble with files on Zoho (a G suite competitor). It started at login and immediately set about syncing files with "the cloud" using the wrong system time. Fortunately, I sometimes only have to boot Windows once a week, so starting it manually after the time settles is not too bad.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                started at login and immediately set about syncing files with "the cloud" using the wrong system time
                Ah, yes, that's something that might cause trouble and one should be on the lookout for. Thanks!

Comment

The link covers the setting on windows and linux .. I would just "fix" windows for this issue myself (since if i did boot to windows it would be rarely anyway)
                  https://www.howtogeek.com/323390/how...-dual-booting/
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                    .. I would just "fix" windows for this issue myself...
                    Yes, that's the conclusion I've come to. Getting the registry setting to stick might be an issue, I've done it twice now, but in the midst of Windows update shenanigans
                    (For software licence reasons I wanted to use Windows yesterday, but it thought my time was better spent helping it update itself.)

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

FWIW, Windows 10 Home and Kubuntu 20.10 have been happily coexisting on my 2-in-1 laptop for more than a month now in a straight (non-VM) dual-boot setup.

I originally kept Windows for testing "", but now I do routinely log into Windows once a day to watch some streaming service (which doesn?t support whatever service is used for DRM on the Kubuntu side.) After switching OSs, the clock on both sides is always off at first (always by 6 hours, the difference between Eastern Standard Time and UTC.)

But on Kubuntu, it automatically changes to the correct time within a minute or so of logging in, whereas it takes a bit longer on Windows (but eventually also happens.) I can make this happen faster by toggling the Set timezone and time automatically toggles in the control center.

Comment

I originally kept Windows for testing "https://www.worktime.com", but now I do routinely log into Windows once a day to watch some streaming service (which doesn?t support whatever service is used for DRM on the Kubuntu side.) After switching OSs, the clock on both sides is always off at first (always by 6 hours, the difference between Eastern Standard Time and UTC.)

Comment

Working...
                        X