X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROUTER] AiMesh extender crashes computer

Hello!
    I recently bought an Asus RP-ac55 repeater to help with wifi coverage. My router is an asus rt-ac68u and since both units support it I wanted to use the repeater in aimesh-mode, which was straightforward to setup.
    The problem is that every time I plug the repeater in my computer hangs, and by that I mean that wifi signal strength stays low and trying to get into settings or accessing wifi settings through the widget seems to take an infinite amount of time. Wifi speed also slows down to a crawl, and might even stop.
    My iphone connects to the repeater and shows full signal strength, and so does other phones, pads and computers.
    My main computer is a Dell xps 13 9370 running Ubuntu Studio 20.10.
    Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Hi Mr.Onion
    I apologize that nobody has dropped by to help.
    You do have some relatively exotic hardware so it may take a while.

So, hang on a while, I am sure that somebody in this very friendly forum will be able to offer some suggestions.

And, please don't be be a stranger!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Make sure you set the wireless mode to "client BRIDGE", not just "client", and that it has as a DNS connection address the IP of your wifi router -- something like 192.168.100.1, depending on your router documentation. (Mine is 192.169.11.1)

One sage wrote:
      A wifi range extender (aka wireless repeater) is receiving a signal from an access point and transmitting it on a different channel, also acting as access point. This is totally transparent to the receiver at the endpoint, read: any repeater is compatible with Linux.

What you have to look for is that your repeater is compatible with the original access point. For example, a repeater that only works in the 5 GHz range will not be compatible with an access point that only sends in the 2.4GHz range. Also, if encryption is used the standards must be compatible, a repeater that only supports WEP or WPA encryption will not repeat the signal of an access point working with WPA2.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 16, 2021, 09:14 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X