This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] What is the best printer with Kubuntu

My printer broke. What is a good one to buy?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Probably any wifi printer will do well - they usually don't need drivers.
    But otherwise, HP seems to have the widest support.

My $30 cannon Pixma ts32-something Just Works but is very basic

Comment

Thanks I thought HP was a good one for Linux. I will use my Amazon Prime account to order one.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Personally, HP, Samsung or Brothers. No ink jets of any brand. I've had good results with all three. Brothers color laser worked very well for a friend.

My current printer is an HP LaserJet P1606dn. It is a monochrome laser printer with duplex printing. I've had it since 2010 and I'm on my 3rd or 4th toner, IIRC. I've hooked it up as a network printer with an IP address of 192.168.1.99 so that it wouldn't conflict with my 192.168.1.100 -110 IP range dispensed by my wifi. When my wife stopped using her notebook I switched it to being a USB plugin on my laptop. IIRC, it was around 16.04 that I didn't have to install HPLIP and that proprietary plugin any more. SInce then it has always been instantly recognized when plugged in. I've gone through a couple boxes of paper (10 reams) and I'm only about 50 pages away from being ready to use my last ream from my last box. That's almost 10,000 pages in 11 years. I've NEVER had a jam or failure to print. I've used 1 ream of 17" paper so far.

IF I ever have to buy another printer it will probably be a duplex color laser.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use a Brother inkjet and have had no issues with Linux support. Once I got it on the wifi network, all my PCs automatically discover it.

Comment

HP. It just seems to work, has a nice printer toolbox. I just buy the cheap inkjets, under $50. I print, scan, copy.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Likewise, here. Cheap HP, a Deskjet 3755. I don't do a lot of printing, scanning, etc., but it does its job very well. I was very put off when I installed Kubuntu 18.04, a couple of years ago, and it wouldn't do the usual USB install with (several different versions of) HPLIP. But once it taught me that Kubuntu was happier with the "driverless" install, it's been great.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

What shocked me was the fact that the scanner on my printer connected via wifi was detected without having to do any manual configuration of saned at all. It Just Worked.
                I scan ever so slightly more than I print, especially since my phone does a more than adequate job for the task, Still, it was quite nice to see.

Comment

Another nod to Brother WiFi all-in-one printers. I installed the official Brother drivers on my Neon install without knowing it wasn't necessary. The boss's fresh Linux Mint install picked it up immediately with no drivers!
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
                  X