X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Need help with nVidia Drivers

Hi.
    I'm having trouble trying to get my new monitor to display its native resolution. It's a Benq PD2500Q connected through a HDMI cable. System Setting offers a maximum of 1920x1080 although the monitor is capable of 2560x1440. My graphic card is a GeForce GT 610 with 1Mb video memory.
    I'm currently running the nouveau driver; Driver Manager offers also nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary, tested) and nvidia-340 (proprietary). Both cause the system to go to a horribly lox resolution.
    I've been reading and I've tried a couple of things, among them manually installing the latest (?) nVidia driver from its website, which i repeatedly failed and I think broke something since now I can't boot and I have to revert to the previous kernel (5-8-0.53). Or maybe what broke things is I set a custom resolution of 2560x1440 using xrandr, which didn't work but for the current session, I don't know.
    Could someone please help me to fix this and get the monitor to go 2560x1440? I don't even care which driver it takes, nvidia or nouveau...
    I'll be glad to provide all the information needed (if I manage to fetch it).
    Thanks in advance!

Not sure about your particular monitor, but I've come across monitors which have a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 with HDMI connection, and higher resolutions only work through displayport connection, something you could check from the monitor documentation.

Comment

To back up Kubicle, do check out if it needs a Display port cable to get the desired resolution and refresh rate. Also, if it is not the OEM HDMI cable, make sure it is a 4K capable one. The less expensive one may not support higher then 1080p

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
        The cable is 4K certified so that's OK. The monitor user manual doesn't specify anything about only getting max. resolution through DP, but I will contact the support service just in case. I hope that's not it, becasuse my graphic card has no DP.
        Anyway, I can temporarily get 2560x1440 (that is, only during the current session) following these instructions and that was with HDMI, although the part about making it permanent by editing the .profile file didn't work. Maybe that's all I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernando View Post
          Thanks for the answers.
          The cable is 4K certified so that's OK. The monitor user manual doesn't specify anything about only getting max. resolution through DP, but I will contact the support service just in case. I hope that's not it, becasuse my graphic card has no DP.
          Anyway, I can temporarily get 2560x1440 (that is, only during the current session) following these instructions and that was with HDMI, although the part about making it permanent by editing the .profile file didn't work. Maybe that's all I need.
          If you can get it working for a session with xrandr, then you don't need displayport (and the cable is fine). So that's good news, and you should get it working with what you have.

Running GUI related things in .profile is quite unreliable, there are quite a few variables at play whether the thing is sourced or not. You could try .xprofile (but I'm not 100% sure whether that is still supported)

You could also place the xrandr commands in a script, make it executable and put it to autostart (in system settings)...or you could try to copy the script as /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80myxrandrsetup (or something similar) which should get it sourced during X initialization (if you use X11).

I'd first try using .xprofile (since that is probably the simplest way...if it works)
          Last edited by kubicle; May 29, 2021, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I've seen posts where it's recommended to have 1.5 - 2Gb VRAM to run 1440p comfortably.

I have 4Gb VRAM but my monitor only supports 1080p but I do use X-Plane a lot.
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Well, I managed to fix the mess caused by the installation of the nvidia drivers, wnet back to nouveau, and tried again editing .profile... and it worked! Something in the nvidia drivers was probably interfering with .profile during startup and once I fixed allowed the config to successfully load. Or something
              So now I can use 25660x1440 at last. It looks great!
              Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X