This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Lost all audio options after upgrading

I just upgraded from 20.04 to 20.10 on my gaming machine yesterday. The machine boots fine, but the speaker icon in the notification area is gone, and there is no sound/audio button in System Settings anymore.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210401_133438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	649726
    If I tap tap the Vol+ and Vol- buttons on my keyboard, the overlay icon doesn't show up.

I do have sound.

If I open a video or an audio file, I can hear the audio just fine, but I cannot adjust the volume, unless the app has its own volume settings.

If I open alsamixer from the terminal, I see my Intel HDA motherboard outputs (which are the ones I'm using), and I can also see my Nvidia GPU's outputs.
    If I open pavucontrol, my Intel HDA motherboard outputs are there, and I can assign them in the correct configuration.
    I have run pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio --start, but it made no difference.
    I have run sudo alsa force-reload, but it made no difference.
    I have run sudo apt remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio then
    sudo apt install alsa-base pulseaudio, but it made no difference.

I simply have no sound/audio buttons anywhere in Plasma, nor any way to control it.
    Last edited by bradleypariah; Apr 01, 2021, 02:36 PM.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

What is your audio device name and model number?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      What is your audio device name and model number?
      I'm using onboard 3.5mm 5.1 outputs
      alsamixer calls it:
      │ Card: HDA Intel PCH
      │ Chip: IDT 92HD89E2

lspci says:
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
      Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

As one might expect, a reinstall of the whole OS fixes this issue. I didn't care to keep trying to figure out why the icon disappeared, so I backed up my Home folder and installed fresh. I'm going to mark this thread as [SOLVED] so no one thinks I'm still waiting for a reply.

Comment

Well guess what? Unrelated to the issues I was having, my motherboard died, and I had to buy some new parts.

The sound issues came back with a completely different motherboard. I was using an HP/Cleveland/Intel setup, and I switched to MSI/AMD. No volume notifications on a fresh install.
          I thought I'd come back and share how I solved it, just in case someone reads this someday.

I opened Muon, and installed the "kubuntu-dekstop" package, then rebooted.
          I have no idea what setting or package that installed, but it worked, and it seemed like a safe enough package to install on a Kubuntu system.

Comment

Hi bradleypariah
            You pose an interesting situation and since we both run an Intel MOBO I thought that I would post this.

I have had no problem with sound in the last two iterations of Neon and also Kubu.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
            And yeah, I'm an old hardware guy so been there myself!

I'm glad that things were able to be worked out.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X