This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Lenovo laptop for 20.10 - Ideapad S540, T490, or X1 Carbon

I bought the Lenovo T490S and am loving it. I've installed Kubuntu 2010 and everything seems to be working. I have 2 additional screens attached with the Thunderbolt and tons of USB-C devices and drives connected externally with a UCB-C hub. I do have one thing I need some help with. My Fingerprint scanner is working, it seems (I was able to scan and save prints), but I am not sure how to set it up to sign onto the laptop with my fingerprint biometrics.

Anyone who has experience with this, I am asking if you can point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by pokeystyles; Jan 02, 2021, 07:52 PM. Reason: update on my purchase

I am someone who generally fires up the latest version of Kubuntu and have done so almost since Kubuntu first appeared.
    I am just an average computer user, not a geek, a power user or any such.
    I have experienced the usual small glitches, bugs or whatever which tend to get fixed pretty quickly and the experience has been a good one.

However 2010 gorilla threw up so many problems that I reinstalled LTS 2004 focal, something I would not usually be inclined to do. [gorilla looked okay on the usb stick for me too by the way]
    I am as I say no tech expert but I suggest checking out focal fossa as your main O.S. for now, for me it works fine with no problems at all.
    I have a secondary install of gorilla which I am messing with to see if I can get it working ok.
    You could try that.
    Of course what one hardware device sees as a good working software system could on another not work at all. [which could be my problem with gorilla - some would say chuck your pc away and buy new - I'm not in the pecunary bracket where that is a possibility = I'm too tight and poor to boot]

So I would say ask lenovo directly whether 20.04 lts would be compatible with the devices you fancy. Lenovo has always boasted of being linux friendly so you shouldn't be talking to aliens of the m$oft variety.
    I suppose you could mention gorilla too, but my experience makes me choose against that option.

Oh, incidentally, Kubuntu Gorilla is a no go for me but Ubuntu Gorilla shows none of the Kubuntu problems. Something I had been hoping to investigate.
    Last edited by bobbicat; Dec 30, 2020, 10:22 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

I thought that 20.04 would work with my new laptop, but it didn't - at least not the Live/Install thumb drive. Turns out it wasn't working with the touchpad. 20.10, on the other hand worked perfectly, so now I'm using Groovy. I'm a big fan of the LTS versions of Kubuntu, but sometimes even the good stuff isn't up to newer stuff. And sometimes, the newer stuff isn't better, either.

So, Linux iso files are cheap, download and try different ones, just in case one of them works better on one of those computers. There's nothing more satisfying than discovering something for yourself that works.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
      X