X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with sound

Hello all,

Anybody else seeing anything like this ? I upgraded from 20.04, everything went OK - system is running fine, apart from sound. At random intervals I'm losing sound - if I kill pulseaudio * it comes back.

Can't see anything in ksystemlog, is there anything else that I should be looking at ?

* Edit - should also say that it's then stable for the duration of the boot.

Same here, for now I am using workaround as described here https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post441199
    Before the workaroung only HDMI output devices were available after boot and when connecting new devices nothing happened.
    This worked fine for me on 20.04

Comment

Don't need to kill pulseaudio, found out that running :

systemctl --user restart pulseaudio

Seems to correct the problem, I could pop the above in my profile, but I'd rather understand why it's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
        Don't need to kill pulseaudio, found out that running :

systemctl --user restart pulseaudio

Seems to correct the problem, I could pop the above in my profile, but I'd rather understand why it's happening.

Thanks for the code!

It works for me (on Kubuntu 20.04) in an unrelated context. Logging out of a KDE Plasma session, logging into an Openbox session, logging out of that and logging back into KDE Plasma results in no audio. If I log out yet again and then log into KDE Plasma again, audio is available again. Now, thanks to your code, I don't have to do the repeat logout/logins!
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Hi !
          I have the same problem with the sound, but with a fresh install of kubuntu 20.10.
          Thank you for you code, it work for me too !!

But how can we repair this problem definitely and how can help you to diagnose this issue ?

Thank you in advance !

Comment

Is it this problem?
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...o/+bug/1903668

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
              Some similarities - noticed :

Please try uninstalling 'pipewire', which is used by KDE and is known to interfere with PulseAudio.
              Interesting because I can see dummy listed as output and running :

lsof /dev/snd/*
              Can see a couple of commands listed pulseaudio and yep, pipewire.

So I suppose next question, what does KDE use pipewire for and any harm in removing it ?

Comment

If you have enough similarities please comment in the bug post so it gets the required, affects multiple users, status which then means they will do something about it.

Comment

This works for me. By disabling pipewire I dont have to use "systemctl --user restart pulseaudio" at system startup anymore and everything seems to work correctly.
                  sudo systemctl --global disable pipewire

Comment

Hi, yes, work for me too Thank you !

Comment

On some boots I get the start-up sound and sound works fine, on some boots I don't get the start-up sound and sound works and on some boots I get no sound at all! ����������
                      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                        On some boots I get the start-up sound and sound works fine, on some boots I don't get the start-up sound and sound works and on some boots I get no sound at all! ����������
                        Shoot, I can't yet find the link, but this happens possibly because sound doesn't always (or never) loads or un-mutes until after plasma sends the login notification. I think Plasma 5.20 fixes this.

Ok here it is
                        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422948
                        plus a passle of reddit and kde forum posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Syntax View Post
                          This works for me. By disabling pipewire I dont have to use "systemctl --user restart pulseaudio" at system startup anymore and everything seems to work correctly.
                          Any downsides to disabling pipewire? I assume it there for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Syntax View Post
                            Thanks, that's done the trick !

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
                              Any downsides to disabling pipewire? I assume it there for a reason...
                              That's what I was trying to find out, before removing it - with the disable bit, I assume it's just a case of enabling it before upgrading.

Comment

Working...
                              X