This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Git-Core Won't Install

trying to install tautulli and need git-core to do sp but git-core won't install.

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]gravedigger@Digger[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ apt-get install git-core
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?
    [COLOR=#54FF54][B]gravedigger@Digger[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ sudo su
    [sudo] password for gravedigger:  
    root@Digger:/home/gravedigger# apt-get install git-core
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree        
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package git-core
    root@Digger:/home/gravedigger# 

[/FONT]
    kubuntu 19.10 64 bit

First, it really shouldn't make a difference, but sudo apt install <package name> is now generally preferred over apt-get. Second, have you opened either synaptic or muon to see if either "git" or "git-core" returns a listing?

I'm going to assume that your sources list includes at least the normal sources.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

o.k. checked both synaptic and muon and no git items at all. tried the sudo apt install git-core and still got:

Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]gravedigger@Digger[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ sudo apt install git-core
      [sudo] password for gravedigger:  
      Building dependency tree        
      E: Unable to locate package git-core

[/FONT]

Comment

@jglen490 thanks for attempting to help much appreciated. i searched for installing git instead of git-core. git and tautulli are both in and running perfectly.

Comment

You're welcome. Everything I saw said that git is brought in by the meta-package git-core as a dependency, but that's kinda hard to do when it's not in the repos

So it goes ...
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

yea looks like someone put the cart before the horse thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              You're welcome. Everything I saw said that git is brought in by the meta-package git-core as a dependency, but that's kinda hard to do when it's not in the repos

So it goes ...
              The package is 'virtual', so it does not show up in a search, but does exist when running apt to install it in recent *buntu and Debian versions.
              It looks like Debian moved to different packaging layout for git around 2016 or earlier, and use the virtual package for backwards compatibility.

Code:
              sudo apt install git-core
              Building dependency tree       
              Note, selecting 'git' instead of 'git-core'
              Suggested packages:
                git-daemon-run | git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk gitweb git-cvs
                git-mediawiki git-svn
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
                git
              0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 143 not upgraded.
              It is possible that your package database may have been out of sync if sudo apt update was not run before the install attempt.

Comment

@claydohlike i said all's good now. i installed git vs git-core. as for doing sudo apt update prior to attempting the git-core install yes i did do it.

Comment

Working...
                X