This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't get past login screen

I have just done a clean install of Kubuntu 19.10 using btrfs and have transferred the contents of my home folder. Everything seemed to be working well. However, after turning it off and going back to later, I get as far as the login screen. I type in the password, the screen goes blank, and then returns to the login screen. It does this again and again. It does not tell me I used a wrong password, so something else is wrong. Any suggestions? I'd hate to have to re-install this again.

your .Xauthority file is probably wrong for the new install .

at the login screen hit ctrl+alt+F1 or F2 through F6 to get a TTY log in hear and
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.Xauthority
    then ctrl+alt+F7 should get you back to the login screen or one of the F keys 1-7 , some times it's (the login screen ) on F1 but it will be one of them .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think I've identified the problem: I hadn't renamed the backed up snapshot of @homeDDDDDDTTTTTT before restarting. I did that using the steps you indicated to get to the virtual terminal, then rebooted, and it worked! So far, that is. I also did the Xauthority command you suggested. So let's hope--I didn't want to have to go back to 18.04, although that is an excellent distro.

Comment

Working...
      X