This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File management problems

Wasn't sure where best to post this; mods please move if there's a more appropriate board.

I have an ongoing problem when using my [Android] phone to do file management on my network. I'll be using a file manager--and it doesn't matter which one--to do things like delete or move files on a computer. At random, an operation will fail; the file manager offers no clue as to why it failed.

This is a typical scenario:

. I rename 7 files, delete 4, move 23. No problems.

. Then I try to do the same with another file(s), in the exact same location, with the exact same permissions, and it fails.

. Trying a different FM sometimes works, other times fails.

Or this, all in the same location with the same permissions:

. Rename a file.
    . Try to rename another file; fails.
    . Try a different file; succeeds.
    . Try the one that failed; fails.
    . Cuss at my phone.
    . Try the failed one again; success!

In the end, I'm always able to successfully complete the task.

While the problem is happening, I'll check Termux, where I have a ping/sleep running continuously, pinging the computer; at no point has its connection been lost, so that's not it.

What on earth could cause such erratic behavior?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

accessing the computer via ssh, ftp, or samba/cifs?

Which specific file explorers? many/most of these are more or less front ends to the same Android tools, so I wonder if the issues are possibly Android specific, a timing, or caching issue, plus some lag, as in the operations are slow to get sent and the results are slow to get read/updated by the explorer? It should not be an issue on a modern multi-core phone so much, but on my Android TV box definitely is dog slow in this regard, though I have not come across an error, just a significant difference in when the file on my PC is gone and the file explorer reports it.

As an aside, I have not found a decent F/OSS file explorer that has decent (or any) LAN and few with ssh utilities.

I have had decent luck with X-plore, but that is clunky-ish, and i use it on my Android TV box to manage files on occaision, with no issue. This is of course on my TV so the dual window nature is not an issue there lol.
    I have not come across issues like you are seeing here, at least not that I recall. I don't normally do more than copy or move a few things here and there, other than on my TV, moving and deleting video files mostly. I am using SMB here, though.

This reminds me that I never did set up ssh on my PC since I set it up last February (!!??!!)

Sorry this rambled and probably was not overly helpful

Comment

Silly! I don't mind your ramblings, @claydoh.

Let me tell you about my absolute favorite Android FM, MiXplorer Silver. Its feature set puts all other file managers I've tried to shame--and I've tried a lot of FMs.

My preference is to use paid apps; as a result, since finding MiXplorer recently, I now have a bunch of FMs I paid for but no longer use. Oh well.

Seriously, if you give it a try, really exploring its possibilities, I'd be SHOCKED if you didn't like it.

Its features are too deep and many to list here, but a few that I really like are: being able to use other people's themes/skins, but better yet, create your own; seamless Samba connectivity with all of my computers; seamless cloud connectivity; batch operations, like renaming, using *nix-like syntax [e.g., %N for 'filename']; having total control over menu entries; controlling much of the UI; and so much more.

Since buying it and getting fully comfortable with it, I now grudgingly resort to other FMs, including File Manager+ ($7.99! ), if, and only if, there's a compelling reason...like the problem I described.

Buried in that long-winded rambling of mine is the answer to your question: Samba.

Now...where the hell were we?
      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jun 08, 2020, 05:22 PM.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I normally pay for my apps as well, though in recent months I have gotten tired of bloaty spyware-like file managers and image galleries, so I have been looking at more basic tools, or just alternatives, with side od Open Source if possible.
        I have been Amaze, which is nice and well developed file manager. They sell a cloud plugin as a way for people to support the project and devs. Aaaaannd I just now discovered amaze DOES have smb/sftp support already lol

I am also giving Simple Gallery a go, though the stock gallery on my LG V60 is not terrible. The one on my V30 is quite meh.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jun 09, 2020, 08:10 AM. Reason: wtf with the fonts lol

Comment

I've been using F-Stop Pro as my gallery app for a long time. One of its best features [for me] is its ease of resizing an image. On Android Forums, there's been a bug/glitch for a year now, causing uploads of images to fail if they're too big. I can duck in and out from AF to F-SP, resize, retry, in a matter of seconds. Aside from that, it's a nice gallery app, too!

I really encourage you to at least try MiXplorer. I don't mean to sound preachy or nagging, it's just that it's so good, I feel like others would appreciate it. I've only used its Play Store [paid] version, but I know there are free versions, which can be gotten as explained in this XDA thread. It takes a lot to impress me; after 10 years of ho-hum Android file managers, I now have one worth writing home about!

Comment

Working...
          X