This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kden Live Over-Rendering Videos?

My version of Kdenlive (From Apt) over renders videos and takes about 4 hours for even small video renders (Just one video clip (About 5 minutes) and an audio track.

The finished video has about 20 minutes of black space that isn't on the timeline and I need to cut it out using ffmpeg -ss/-to -c copy.

What is happening with it? Do I need to get an older version?

I have used OpenShot for my video needs and find it easy to use--plus it doesn't take long to render. I've never used Kdenlive because all the options intimidated me.

Comment

Yep, I'm installing it now.

I guess we'll see the performance differences

Comment

No, you need a much newer version. Kdenlive is very actively updated, and for this program newer usually brings better results.
        Same for Openshot.

With Kdenlive , you will probably want to look at their appimages, as it works best with specific versions of the various audio/video libraries it uses, and their provided appimage package has all these goodies, as well as being much more up to date than the repos or even Kdenlive's own PPA.

With Openshot, the version in the repos is a bit dated as well, and there were some big improvements recently, well recently as of this past March. Their PPA as well as their appimage are at the same version, so either one should be fine.

I think you also may need to look at enabling multicore rendering, which if I recall was not enabled in at least one, if not both of these.
        When using openshot, it will help if you reduce the initial or default resolution to something lower, as the preview window, if the default is high-res, will slow anything not super high-end to a crawl. When you go to render, then you set the higher resolution. That is one tip I got from their forum, which is actually a Reddit sub.

I don't currently have either installed, and the one I used to edit some 4K video is in Australia. It was a pain, even on my fairly new 8 core i5 laptop. Apparently such a technically peppey cpu spec wise, in this laptop, is a bit pokey. Not 4 hours pokey, though

Kdenlive seems more featurful , while Openshot (once I updated it) was more stable, and a bit simpler. Not in a bad way, mind you.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know that. I'll grab an appimage then!

Comment

I've just created a 16m30s video as an mp4 file with HDV 720 24p format using OpenShot 2.4.4 Appimage and it was rendered in about 22 minutes. Just for your information. I use several Appimages and recommend them. I don't use Snap.

Comment

Working...
            X