This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok Missing from Disco

On the Kubuntu page, feature tour of Disco, Amarok is shown as the music player
    I have just upgraded from 18.10 to 19.04 using the do-release-upgrade method (as Muon was not offering an upgrade to Disco)
    During the upgrade Amarok was removed and Muon only shows it under residual configuration so I can't install it again. Discover lists Amarok but fails to install (dependency resolution failed). Apt install amarok returns
    Package amarok is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'amarok' has no installation candidate
    Muon has, under Ubuntu Software, all the sources selected except source code and under other software I have Canonical partners (along with various others) selected

Any idea what the issue is and how to solve it?

Thanks

Well someone has now updated the Kubuntu Feature Tour page for Disco - Although it still shows Amarok at the top of the page the icon no longer links to a place on the page. Scrolling down I see Amarok has gone and Cantata is there instead. Suggests Cantata is now the go to music player. Pity as have tried it in the past and eventually gave up and went back to Amarok as I did not like it. Shame Amarok is apparently gone from the repository as well as would much prefer to use this (am trying Clementine which seems quite good so far).

Comment

Clemetine has not been updated since April 2016 although there is a snap package available. Whether this is more recent in terms of packaging I do not know.

If you use snap packages Strawberry is available. It is a fork from and much updated version of Clementine which I am happily using.

Comment

I'm running Clementine under 18.04 and it works very well. I like Clementine far more than the current Amarok. It's simpler than Amarok, but still featureful.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Well, let's hope you won't have to sing the song to it anytime soon ;·)

Comment

Nope,, haven't had to, yet. But then again, I don't know anybody named Clementine
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Well I wrote "to it"
              And I obviously meant the "thou art lost and gone forever" bit.

Comment

Thanks for the Strawberry suggestion - not come across that before. Not a great fan of snap packages but have had a look. Not sure there is much to gain (for me at least) over Clementine (and oh my darling strawberry just does not work for me) but it does look to be actively developed judging by the number of deb packages available on the web site.

Comment

OK, not quite on topic, but,
                  Originally posted by Boots View Post
                  Not a great fan of snap packages
                  Well, I'm not either. I mean, I like the idea, but... are there any plans to fix this sort of thing?

Code:
                  not@all:~$ lsblk
                  NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
                  loop0    7:0    0  35.3M  1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/1198
                  loop1    7:1    0 216.4M  1 loop /snap/wine-platform-runtime/6
                  loop2    7:2    0  54.4M  1 loop /snap/core18/1066
                  loop3    7:3    0  88.5M  1 loop /snap/core/7270
                  loop4    7:4    0 218.6M  1 loop /snap/wine-platform-runtime/23
                  loop5    7:5    0 456.4M  1 loop /snap/wine-platform/128
                  loop6    7:6    0  42.8M  1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/1313
                  loop7    7:7    0  88.4M  1 loop /snap/core/7169
                  loop8    7:8    0  14.1M  1 loop /snap/guake-cl/1
                  loop9    7:9    0  54.4M  1 loop /snap/core18/1055
                  loop10   7:10   0    74M  1 loop /snap/wine-platform-3-stable/6
                  sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
                  [etc.]
                  Note that I did not willingly install any snap package either. I used apt install.
                  Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 17, 2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Well, dunno, I am rather stunned at this revelation.

To be honest I have been "trying to test" Kaffein and Plasma Media Center exclusively on both Neon Dev Stable and Kubuntu 19.04 and have not actually used any "music" player for probably a year.

Amarok, for anyone who has browsed the dungeons lately was my GOTO player and I actively tested it with everything that it would allow to have thrown at it.

So... when I tried to install on Kubu 19.04 from Synaptic and got nothing and then tried sudo-apt get install and got "package not found" I was well... stunned...

I HAVE TRIED every other "wannabe" designated "music player" out there , including command line and MPD and always came back to Amarok until I started testing Kaffeine and Plasma Media Center. and Amarok really was, to me, the best "all around" music player AND the "most approachable" by the NEW TO LINUX person... so...

Amarok IS in the latest and greatest Neon dev stable WHICH DID COME WITH STRAWBERRY BUT NOT AMAROK...I installed it with Synaptic.

Which is "Hibernaculum" as of midyear 2018,

https://amarok.kde.org/

so...dunno... but the FIRST THING that came to mind was the whole "argument" about a biggie at KDE saying that things WILL BE THUS AND SO and everybody went along with it, can't remember his name, there is a thread somewhere in the dungeons...

so... dunno...

Yaaaassssss i have not stayed up to date with AMAROK and have been throwing everything that I can at Kaffein and PMC but this is just...welll...odd...

I would REALLY be interested to read other commentators views on this.

woodlikeAmarokKaffeinPMCsmoke
                    dunno...
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 11, 2019, 03:12 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Amarok is Qt4 and as I understand it, qt4 stuff is being removed because the dependencies aren't included as standard.

Clementine is also qt4, Strawberry is a qt5 version of it. Also if you want something very simple that looks good, try Elisa https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/org.kde.elisa

Comment

Hi
                        thanks for the reply, I know, I'm not the OP, but I'm replying anyway.
                        I fiddled with Elisa maybe a year or two ago and it was not quite ready for prime time, IMO, but it looked promising at the time. I have had installations which were exclusively nothing but music and media players. I know, I'm kind of obsessive but I like to fiddle with stuff and test the limites of the apps.
                        I clicked the link and was at the "flatpack" site.
                        I've done one flatpack as I remember it may have been a SNAP, anwyay, there was an INSTALL button and I clicked it and it downloaded and I found it in downloads.
                        I clicked it and Discover opened and complained that it needed the 'flatpack backend", I clicked install and got a huge warning that there was no release candidate for it and stopped.
                        So, ok, I clicked it again, and the back end installed.
                        I then clicked the downloaded file again and Discover installed it.
                        It took " a little longer than usual" I thought but that may be because it was figuring out my system.
                        there is a LOL about this the installation has a statement to the effect of "Install this app and be the first to write a review!" All very chirpy and all that but, umm... there is no "place" to write a review, so that sentence on there is rather superflous.
                        HOWEVER... hidden in the background were several tasks... when I tried to close Discover said that there were several running tasks and did I want to click anyway...so I went down to tasks and clicked it and there was maybe "another" task? running... so I let that play out and the sentence had then changed to "write a review" and is clickable, but I backed out.
                        A menu item was no produced so I went to root/usr/bin and it was not there.
                        After a baloo search a variety of files were returned and the only on which seemed like it might produce the running app was "elisa" and I clicked it.
                        it is in root / var / lib / flatpak/ app / org.ked.elisa / x86_64 / stable / long set of number / files / bin. But upon clicking nothing.
                        Going back there is a "deploy" button so I clicked it and got a menuj box and navigated to the elisa file and clicked it and got nothing.
                        checked in Multimedia again and after five minutes still no button for Elisa.
                        So, I go BACK TO DISCOVER and there is a "launch" button.
                        And, after a bit the application is sitting there deployed!
                        Ok...
                        So I fiddled with it for a while.
                        After 10 minutes Elisa is still not in multimedia.
                        So, I closed Elisa and after five minutes it is still is not in multimedia.
                        I am now going to post this reply and restart the machine to see if Elisa is then in the menu.

AFTER A RESTART the menu item is there, and clicking it started the app.
                        woodsmoke
                        Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 12, 2019, 03:44 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Please See the previous reply about installing Elisa from a flatpak

AFTER A RESTART the menu item is there, and clicking it started the app.
                          woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                          X