This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B issues burning DVD Image

Anyone else noting issues with burning DVD Images.

Trying to burn 19.04 for a friend and on 2 different machines running 19.04 K3B consistently errors out at 97% with and I/O error. The ISO image is good.

I haven't burned an optical disk in nearly a decade?

Have you lowered the speed, tried a different brand of disk? How old is the burner and how many burns has it done? All the usual things to look at first, from memory.

Can you see more of the error message, see any logs from k3b, or enable logging?

Comment

Actually yes to all. Blown through 14 DVDs of various makes. Same result. Burner isn't that old and actually worked (for burning) just before I upgraded to 19.04. So, does K3B have a log file? Where might that be?

EDIT:
      Actually found Last Log but it does not show the error but on the other machine having same issue I found similar. Same % location

Code:
      [growisofs]  1847853056/1916190720 (96.4%) @8.3x, remaining 0:06 RBU 100.0% UBU  54.3%
      Last edited by MoonRise; May 11, 2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Actually yes to all. Blown through 14 DVDs of various makes. Same result. Burner isn't that old and actually worked (for burning) just before I upgraded to 19.04. So, does K3B have a log file? Where might that be?

EDIT:
        Actually found Last Log but it does not show the error but on the other machine having same issue I found similar. Same % location

Code:
        [growisofs]  1847853056/1916190720 (96.4%) @8.3x, remaining 0:06 RBU 100.0% UBU  54.3%
        check K3b>settings>programs and see that you have all the needed programs , and that the /tmp folder it is using is large enough. and maby increase the buffer size .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@vinny - All OK there too. Maybe buffer is the issue? It does seem to act oddly from what I'm used to seeing. If you note the UBU is down to 54.3%. Not used to seeing it that low during a burn.

Comment

I haven't had a problem with the very few DVD/CDs I have burned on KDE Neon 5.15 (18.04).
            However, k3b ALWAYS locks up after burning or even before burning when I just want to shut it down. I have to use KSysGuard to End Process.
            -=Ken=-
            -=Ken=-
            "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
            DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

As soon as I can I'll report back. Noted a lot of updates lately to Kernel portions. Nothing noted for K3B but with the kernel worth a shot to see.

Comment

So; did simulations this time around to save my disks. Should have thought of that earlier, but oh well.

What was found:

Simulations from an Out of Box experience produces the same error time and time again @ 97% completion.
                Code:
                Fatal error during recording: Input/output error
                After several runs I noted several things. The buffers were not being managed how I was used to seeing. The beginning script shown seemed different. I also noted the writting app used is Auto and K3B always uses "growisofs".

Was not sure what was used in the past but since this produced a script unfamiliar and errors out I decided to pick my own writing app. K3B at least lets you do that past Auto.

I chose CDRECORD / WODIM.

The script shown during burn was what I was used to seeing and the buffers were handled as I was used to seeing. Successful burn!! Yeah!! That must be the issue then.

So, all I can say is there seems to me to be something quite not correct with growisofs.

Problem now is I can't make CDRECORD / WODIM the default. No biggie there, I know the issue I'll just continue to look to see if I can force CDRECORD / WODIM.

Note, I did go to K3B's configuration and tried to deactivate growisofs. It would not let me.

Comment

IF you launch K3B 'as root' -- kdesudo k3b -- can you make the changes you want?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just tried a while ago. A lot of warnings too doing that.

Regardless I read more on the two types and it may be in my best interest to keep as is. Growisofs seems geared to Bluray disks which this burner is. May be why it always chooses that. To me they should base that on Burner Type AND Disk Type and not just Burner Type. I do very, very, very few BluRay but the price on this burner at the time was hard to pass up and it gave me the possibility to use BluRay.

Comment

Agree, detection based on device and media when the device is BluRay (which is capable of utilizing BluRay and DVD discs) would be preferable. If that isn't possible, maybe prompting the user "Are you using BluRay or DVD?" and basing the script to be used on the response provided would potentially save a lot of wasted discs.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X