This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any luck with Kernel 5.1

Attempting to install Kernel 5.1 is a no-go for me. Does anyone know how to get things working?The last message I get is 'Started bpfilter'

So you've actually installed it and it's not booting then?

Where did you get the kernel? Did you install all the necessary packages?

These are probably bare, unmodified kernels that don't have support for all hardware. Particularly, Nvidia non-free drivers very often don't work, for example.

What you see on the screen likely has nothing to do with whatever is preventing you from booting. You'll have to boot to a good kernel and look at various log files to see what the actual errors and failures are.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I downloaded the kernel and all necessary packages from the official kernel repository at: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I will do some digging, I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful answers here.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
        I downloaded the kernel and all necessary packages from the official kernel repository at: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I will do some digging, I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful answers here.
        Oh it IS booting, CTRL + F2 gets me a login prompt. I was about to post links to logs, as nothing stood out, when I found this little gem. Note that the NVidia drivers ARE installed. I swear to god, if AMD came out with a 2080ti competitor tomorrow I'd buy 2:

Is boot vga? yes
        Error: can't access /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:42:00.0/driver
        The device is not bound to any driver.
        Error : Failed to open /dev/dri

Comment

You can use KSysLog to view various logs and see what may have failed.
          These are very generic kernels and won't have all the normal tweaks, drivers, etc that Ubuntu does to make them useful on more hardware out of the box. Providing some system specs will help as well.

Comment

Oh it IS booting, CTRL + F2 gets me a login prompt. I was about to post links to logs, as nothing stood out, when I found this little gem. Note that the NVidia drivers ARE installed. I swear to god, if AMD came out with a 2080ti competitor tomorrow I'd buy 2:

Is boot vga? yes

To anyone wanting to upgrade to kernel 5.1, install the graphics drivers PPA, then download the kernel packages and install them. Reboot to recovery, enable networking and drop to the root prompt, then do an apt list |grep nvidia-driver. Pick the driver to your liking (I'm running nvidia driver 430) and install it. You will have a functional system on reboot.

Oh and before you perform these steps, make sure you add a grub timeout so that you can boot to recovery and/or older kernel if things go wrong. I have no idea why Canonical removed the grub timeout from boot releases. A 3 second timeout wouldn't hurt anyone and would save a ton of headaches.

Testing Kernel 5.1.3 and so far it looks good.

Comment

Is boot vga? yes

Yes, the proprietary Nvidia drivers need a specific kernel module built for each kernel, and very often they don't build on mainline kernels
              There likely was an error message when installing the kernel to this effect if the nvidia dkms package is ipresent (it usually is when installing Nvidia drivers, as the module needs to be rebuilt with every official kernel upgrade that might come down the pike).

Nvidia may also simply not support this very fresh kernel just yet.

Comment

Patience. Being on the bleeding edge is a choice, but it comes with a price. It's up to someone to write a driver that works with a new kernel, and it's usually not the kernel devs who write that driver. So more often than not kernel modules will appear on the tail end of the new kernel's release. Sometimes a driver from a "close enough" kernel might work, but the 5.x kernels seem to be sufficiently different that they probably won't.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

After seeing this post, I was tempted to re-instate the ppa
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/unstable
                  on my system. I never attempt to do a Kernel upgrade any other way than with this ppa.

My previous attempts with this failed with the 404 error. This time it didn't, and I got a Kernel 5.2 installed and it is working very well and fast.

I would point out that I am on Eoan, ie 19.10 and the current state of my system is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eoan_May22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	644197

So unless you can get a Kernel upgrade using the above ppa, I would advise that you not try any other approach other than by installing Eoan which has just past the first month of its 6 month development.

Comment

Working...
                  X